Modelling Return and Volatility of Oil Price using Dual Long Memory Models
AbstractThis paper investigates the dynamic properties of both return and volatility of the oil price. The analysis is carried out using a set of double long memory specifications incorporating several features such as long range dependence, asymmetry in conditional variances and time varying correlations. The in-sample diagnostic tests as well as the out-of-sample forecasting results show the performance of the ARFIMA-FIAPARCH model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Research, Ipag Business School in its series Working Papers with number 2014-283.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 29 Apr 2014
Date of revision:
Oil price; return; volatility; dual long memory.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-05-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2014-05-04 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ETS-2014-05-04 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2014-05-04 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Richard T. Baillie & Young Wook Han & Tae-Go Kwon, 2002. "Further Long Memory Properties of Inflationary Shocks," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 496-510, January.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1996.
"Modeling and pricing long memory in stock market volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 151-184, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Bollerslev-Mikkelson(1996) FIEGARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00173, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Davidson, James, 2004. "Moment and Memory Properties of Linear Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models, and a New Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22(1), pages 16-29, January.
- Karanasos, M. & Sekioua, S.H. & Zeng, N., 2006.
"On the order of integration of monthly US ex-ante and ex-post real interest rates: New evidence from over a century of data,"
Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 163-169, February.
- Menelaos Karananos & S.H Sekioua & N Zeng, 2005. "On the order of integration of monthly US ex-ante and ex-post real interest rates new evidence from over a century of data," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 21, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Y. K. Tse, 1998. "The conditional heteroscedasticity of the yen-dollar exchange rate," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 49-55.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Baillie, Richard T & Chung, Ching-Fan & Tieslau, Margie A, 1996. "Analysing Inflation by the Fractionally Integrated ARFIMA-GARCH Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, Jan.-Feb..
- Zied Ftiti & Khaled Guesmi & Frédéric Teulon & Slim Chouachi, 2014. "Evolution of Crude Oil Prices and Economic Growth: The case of OPEC Countries," Working Papers 2014-421, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Derek Bunn & Julien Chevallier & Yannick Le Pen & Benoît Sévi, 2014. "Fundamental and Financial Influences on the Co-movement of Oil and Gas Prices," Working Papers 2014-414, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Khaled Guesmi & Ilyes Abid & Olfa Kaabia, 2014. "Conditional Correlations and Volatility Spillovers between Crude Oil and Oil- exporting and importing countries," Working Papers 2014-334, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.