Labour Productivity and Foreign Direct Investment in Irish Manufacturing Industry: A Decomposition Analysis
AbstractOverall labour productivity in the Irish manufacturing sector increased by 158 per cent between 1991 and 1999. This growth in labour productivity coincided with strong growth in employment during the same period, in stark contrast to the experience of other European countries. This paper examines the components of this labour productivity growth in the period 1991-1999, using a decomposition analysis based on plant level data. In order to account for the large presence of foreign plants we carry out our analysis separately for foreign and domestic plants, as well as for four ownership subgroups, four sectoral subgroups, and two time sub-periods. Our results show that although the main drivers of average labour productivity growth in all groups arise within plant and from plant entry, there are marked differences in the relative sizes of these effects across the ownership/sector/time-period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IIIS in its series The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series with number iiisdp027.
Date of creation: 28 Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Frances Ruane & Ali Ugur, 2005. "Labour Productivity and Foreign Direct Investment in Irish Manufacturing Industry - A Decomposition Analysis," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 36(1), pages 19â43.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, John R., 1996. "Productivity Growth, Plant Turnover and Restructuring in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1995087e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003.
"Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000. "Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing," CEPR Discussion Papers 2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John C. Haltiwanger, 1997. "Measuring and analyzing aggregate fluctuations: the importance of building from microeconomic evidence," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 55-78.
- Baldwin, John R. Gu, Wulong, 2003.
"Plant Turnover and Productivity Growth in Canadian Manufacturing,"
Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
2003193e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- John R. Baldwin & Wulong Gu, 2006. "Plant turnover and productivity growth in Canadian manufacturing," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 417-465, June.
- John R. Baldwin & Wulong Gu, 2002. "Plant Turnover and Productivity Growth in Canadian Manufacturing," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2002/2, OECD Publishing.
- Stefano Scarpetta & Andrea Bassanini & Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer, 2000. "Economic Growth in the OECD Area: Recent Trends at the Aggregate and Sectoral Level," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 248, OECD Publishing.
- Frances Ruane & Holger GÃ¶rg, 1997. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Sectoral Adjustment in the Irish Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 160(1), pages 76-86, April.
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & C.J. Krizan, 1998.
"Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
6803, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucia Foster & John C. Haltiwanger & C. J. Krizan, 2001. "Aggregate Productivity Growth. Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 303-372 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Haltiwanger & C J Krizan & Lucia Foster, 1998. "Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons From Microeconomic Evidence," Working Papers 98-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Chin Hee Hahn, 2000. "Entry, Exit, and Aggregate Productivity Growth: Micro Evidence on Korean Manufacturing," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 272, OECD Publishing.
- Barrios, Salvador & Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2011.
"Spillovers through backward linkages from multinationals: Measurement matters!,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 862-875, August.
- Barrios, Salvador & Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2009. "Spillovers Through Backward Linkages from Multinationals: Measurement Matters!," IZA Discussion Papers 4477, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barrios, Salvador & Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2009. "Spillovers through backward linkages from multinationals: Measurement matters!," CEPR Discussion Papers 7491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Salvador Barrios & Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, 2009. "Spillovers through backward linkages from multinationals: Measurement matters!," Kiel Working Papers 1560, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Godart, Olivier & Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2011.
"Surviving the Crisis: Foreign Multinationals vs Domestic Firms in Ireland,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5882, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Godart, Olivier & Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2011. "Surviving the crisis: Foreign multinationals vs domestic firms in Ireland," CEPR Discussion Papers 8596, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carol Newman, 2006. "The impact of globalisation and trade on the productivity performance of the Irish food manufacturing sector," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp180, IIIS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eva Mateo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.