Do Biofuel Subsidies Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions?
AbstractConventional wisdom suggests that subsidising biofuel production will reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. This paper shows that in many cases, and for a wide range of parameter values, this is not true. Biofuel subsidies can generate supply-side response by fossil fuel producers that accelerates their rate of extraction, even in the case where fossil fuel extraction costs are stock dependent. Thus, policies designed to reduce GHG emissions may, perversely, hasten climate change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International and Development Economics in its series International and Development Economics Working Papers with number idec10-01.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/research/papers/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-12-04 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2010-12-04 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2010-12-04 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-REG-2010-12-04 (Regulation)
- NEP-RES-2010-12-04 (Resource Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bahel, Eric & Marrouch, Walid & Gaudet, Gérard, 2013.
"The economics of oil, biofuel and food commodities,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 599-617.
- BAHEL, Eric & MARROUCH, Walid & GAUDET, Gérard, 2011. "The Economics of Oil, Biofuel and Food Commodities," Cahiers de recherche 02-2011, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BAHEL, Eric A. & MARROUCH, Walid & GAUDET, Gérard, 2011. "The Economics of Oil, Biofuel and Food Commodities," Cahiers de recherche 2011-02, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Eric Bahel & Walid Marrouch & Gerard Gaudet, 2010. "The Economics of Oil, Biofuel and Food Commodities," Working Papers e07-26, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2007.
"Public Policies against Global Warming,"
NBER Working Papers
13454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Murray C. Kemp & Ngo Van Long, 2007. "Extracting Several Resource Deposits of Unknown Size: Optimal Order," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-10, CIRANO.
- Gérard Gaudet, 2007. "Natural resource economics under the rule of Hotelling," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1033-1059, November.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Marie-H�l�ne Hubert & Linda N�stbakken, 2009.
"Fuel Versus Food,"
Annual Review of Resource Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 645-663, 09.
- Santiago J. Rubio & Luisa Escriche, 1998.
"- Strategic Pigouvian Taxation, Stock Externalities And Polluting Non-Renewable Resources,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1998-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Rubio, Santiago J. & Escriche, Luisa, 2001. "Strategic pigouvian taxation, stock externalities and polluting non-renewable resources," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 297-313, February.
- Bandyopadhyay, Subhayu & Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Wall, Howard J., 2009.
"Biofuel Subsidies: An Open-Economy Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4584, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, . "Das grüne Paradoxon ; Plädoyer für eine illusionsfreie Klimapolitik," Monographs in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics, number 19627, April.
- Long, Ngo Van & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1985. "Surprise Price Shifts, Tax Changes and the Supply Behaviour of Resource Extracting Firms," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(45), pages 278-89, December.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.