Quota Use under VERs: A theoretical framework and some evidence on MFA quota use
AbstractIn this paper, we propose a framework to study quota use under Voluntary Export Restraints (VERs). Our model unifies three strands of literature in finance and international trade policy research: the equivalence between tariff and quotas/VERs, option pricing, and option exercise. We also present evidence on quota utilisation rates for clothing exports under the Multi-Fibre Arrangement (MFA) from the most important Asian suppliers to the EU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, School of Management and Languages, Heriot Watt University in its series Working Papers with number E03.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Edinburgh EH14 4AS
Phone: +44(0)131 451 3497
Fax: +44(0)131 451 3497
Web page: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/departments/accountancy-economics-finance.htm
More information through EDIRC
VERs; quota use; option-pricing; first passage time;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "The valuation of compound options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-81, March.
- Cunha, Luis Campos e & Santos, Vasco, 1996. "Sleeping quotas, pre-emptive quota bidding and monopoly power," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 127-148, February.
- Murray, Tracy & Schmidt, Wilson & Walter, Ingo, 1983. "On the equivalence of import quotas and voluntary export restraint," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 191-194, February.
- repec:fth:geneec:93.07 is not listed on IDEAS
- Faini, R. & Melo, J. de & Takacs, W., 1992.
"A Primer on the MFA Maze,"
Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva
92.15, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Trela, Irene & Whalley, John, 1995.
"Internal Quota-Allocation Schemes and the Costs of the MFA,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 284-306, October.
- Irene Trela & John Whalley, 1991. "Internal Quota Allocation Schemes and the Costs of the MFA," NBER Working Papers 3627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamilton, Carl, 1986. "An Assessment of Voluntary Restraints on Hong Kong Exports to Europe and the USA," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(211), pages 339-50, August.
- Krishna, Kala, 1993. "Theoretical Implications of Imperfect Competition on Quota License Prices and Auctions," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 113-36, January.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1992. "How Costly Is Protectionism?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 159-178, Summer.
- Barbara J. Spencer, 1996.
"Quota Licenses for Imported Capital Equipment: Could Bureaucrats Ever DoBetter than the Market?,"
NBER Working Papers
5695, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spencer, Barbara J., 1997. "Quota licenses for imported capital equipment: Could bureaucrats ever do better than the market?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 1-27, August.
- Falvey, Rodney E, 1979. "The Composition of Trade within Import-restricted Product Categories," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 1105-14, October.
- Krishna, Kala, 1990.
"The Case of the Vanishing Revenues: Auction Quotas with Monopoly,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 828-36, September.
- Kala Krishna, 1989. "The Case of the Vanishing Revenues: Auction Quotas with Monopoly," NBER Working Papers 2840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Harris, 1984.
"Why Voluntary Export Restraints are 'Voluntary',"
559, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James Levinsohn & Steven Berry & Ariel Pakes, 1999. "Voluntary Export Restraints on Automobiles: Evaluating a Trade Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 400-430, June.
- Eldor, Rafael & Marcus, Alan J., 1988. "Quotas as options: Valuation and equilibrium implications," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 255-274, May.
- Anderson, James E., 1987. "Quotas as options: Optimality and quota license pricing under uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 21-39, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Mark Schaffer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.