Bargaining, Openness, and the Labor Share
AbstractThis paper investigates determinants of changes of the labor share in developed countries with a focus on Western Europe. Using a country-industry panel that covers the private sector, the paper focuses on long and short-run changes within industries. The results show a large and time-persistent impact of increasing globalization on the labor share, especially if the within-industry changes are con- sidered. Openness seems to be the driving force for downward movements in the industry level labor shares while technological and institutional forces impact these shares positively. Furthermore, while investments into information and communi- cation technology (ICT) increase productivity of workers, it has a negative impact on the labor share as it enables higher economic integration which lowers the labor share. Economic integration has stronger impact on the polarization in Western European labor markets than ICT.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2011-068.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Labor Share; Functional Income Distribution; Openness;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E25 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Aggregate Factor Income Distribution
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- E02 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Institutions and the Macroeconomy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnaud Costinot & Lindsay Oldenski & James Rauch, 2011.
"Adaptation and the Boundary of Multinational Firms,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 298-308, February.
- Arnaud Costinot & Lindsay Oldenski & James E. Rauch, 2009. "Adaptation and the Boundary of Multinational Firms," NBER Working Papers 14668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arnaud Costinot & Lindsay Oldenski & James Rauch, 2009. "Adaptation and the Boundary of Multinational Firms," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-059, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Costinot, Arnaud & Oldenski, Lindsay & Rauch, James, 2009. "Adaptation and the Boundary of Multinational Firms," CCES Discussion Paper Series 14, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107, July.
- Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2006. "Technical Change, Job Tasks, and Rising Educational Demands: Looking outside the Wage Structure," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 235-270, April.
- Arpaia, Alfonso & Pérez, Esther & Pichelmann, Karl, 2009.
"Understanding labour income share dynamics in Europe,"
15649, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alfonso Arpaia & Esther PÃ©rez & Karl Pichelmann, 2009. "Understanding Labour Income Share Dynamics in Europe," European Economy - Economic Papers 379, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Christian Dustmann & Johannes Ludsteck & Uta Schönberg, 2009.
"Revisiting the German Wage Structure,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 124(2), pages 843-881, May.
- Dustmann, Christian & Ludsteck, Johannes & Schönberg, Uta, 2007. "Revisiting the German Wage Structure," IZA Discussion Papers 2685, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dustmann, C. & Ludsteck, J. & Schonberg, U., 2009. "Revisiting the German wage structure," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Arjun Jayadev, 2007. "Capital account openness and the labour share of income," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(3), pages 423-443, May.
- Maarten Goos & Alan Manning, 2007.
"Lousy and Lovely Jobs: The Rising Polarization of Work in Britain,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 118-133, February.
- Maarten Goos & Alan Manning, 2003. "Lousy and Lovely Jobs: the Rising Polarization of Work in Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0604, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Goos, Maarten & Manning, Alan, 2007. "Lousy and lovely jobs: The rising polarization of work in Britain," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101308, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Damiaan Persyn & Joakim Westerlund, 2008. "Error-correction–based cointegration tests for panel data," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(2), pages 232-241, June.
- Bental, Benjamin & Demougin, Dominique, 2010. "Declining labor shares and bargaining power: An institutional explanation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 443-456, March.
- Azmat, Ghazala & Manning, Alan & Van Reenen, John, 2007.
"Privatization, Entry Regulation and the Decline of Labour's Share of GDP: A Cross-Country Analysis of the Network Industries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6348, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ghazala Azmat & Alan Manning & John Van Reenen, 2007. "Privatization, Entry Regulation and the Decline of Labor's Share of GDP: A Cross-Country Analysis of the Network Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0806, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Firpo, Sergio & Fortin, Nicole M & Lemieux, Thomas, 2012.
"Occupational tasks and changes in the wage structure,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
284, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Firpo, Sergio & Fortin, Nicole M. & Lemieux, Thomas, 2011. "Occupational Tasks and Changes in the Wage Structure," IZA Discussion Papers 5542, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2008.
"Trading Tasks: A Simple Theory of Offshoring,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1978-97, December.
- Florence Jaumotte & Irina Tytell, 2007. "How has the Globalization of Labor Affected the Labor Income Share in Advanced Countries?," IMF Working Papers 07/298, International Monetary Fund.
- van Ark, Bart, 1998. "Productivity," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-174, June.
- Dorothee Schneider, 2011. "Monitoring, Information Technology and the Labor Share," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-066, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.