Difference based Ridge and Liu type Estimators in Semiparametric Regression Models
AbstractWe consider a difference based ridge regression estimator and a Liu type estimator of the regression parameters in the partial linear semiparametric regression model, y = Xβ + f + ε. Both estimators are analysed and compared in the sense of mean-squared error. We consider the case of independent errors with equal variance and give conditions under which the proposed estimators are superior to the unbiased difference based estimation technique. We extend the results to account for heteroscedasticity and autocovariance in the error terms. Finally, we illustrate the performance of these estimators with an application to the determinants of electricity consumption in Germany.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2011-014.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Difference based estimator; Differencing estimator; Differencing matrix; Liu estimator; Liu type estimator; Multicollinearity; Ridge regression estimator; Semiparametric model;
Other versions of this item:
- Akdeniz Duran, Esra & Härdle, Wolfgang Karl & Osipenko, Maria, 2012. "Difference based ridge and Liu type estimators in semiparametric regression models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 164-175.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-03-12 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ENE-2011-03-12 (Energy Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- M. Hubert & P. Wijekoon, 2006. "Improvement of the Liu estimator in linear regression model," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 471-479, June.
- Yatchew, A., 1997. "An elementary estimator of the partial linear model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 135-143, December.
- Yatchew,Adonis, 2003.
"Semiparametric Regression for the Applied Econometrician,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521812832, October.
- Yatchew,Adonis, 2003. "Semiparametric Regression for the Applied Econometrician," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521012263, October.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521780506, October.
- Hardle, Wolfgang & LIang, Hua & Gao, Jiti, 2000. "Partially linear models," MPRA Paper 39562, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Eubank, R. L. & Kambour, E. L. & Kim, J. T. & Klipple, K. & Reese, C. S. & Schimek, M., 1998. "Estimation in partially linear models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 27-34, November.
- Fan J. & Huang L-S., 2001. "Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Parametric Regression Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 640-652, June.
- You, Jinhong & Chen, Gemai & Zhou, Yong, 2007. "Statistical inference of partially linear regression models with heteroscedastic errors," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(8), pages 1539-1557, September.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521785167, October.
- Gülin Tabakan & Fikri Akdeniz, 2010. "Difference-based ridge estimator of parameters in partial linear model," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 357-368, June.
- Fan, Jianqing & Wu, Yichao, 2008. "Semiparametric Estimation of Covariance Matrixes for Longitudinal Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1520-1533.
- Hu Yang & Jianwen Xu, 2009. "An alternative stochastic restricted Liu estimator in linear regression," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 639-647, June.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.