The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment in Japan: Case Studies of the Automobile, Finance, and Health Care Industries
AbstractHaving historically received very little foreign direct investment, Japan has experienced a substantial increase in such inflows in recent years. This paper analyzes the impact of the growing presence of foreign firms on the Japanese economy through detailed case studies on the automobile, finance, and health care industries. The wholesale & retail and the telecommunications sector are also briefly examined. The case studies show that in the sectors considered, foreign firms in one way or another are contributing to a greater degree of competition, are exposing domestic firms to global best practice, and are increasing the range of products and services available in Japan. In many of the sectors, they are also contributing to changes in industry structure and employment practices. The case studies thus illustrate that foreign direct investment - even at its present levels, which, although large by Japanese standards, are still low in international comparison - can be an important catalyst for change and hence help to reinvigorate the Japanese economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number d05-141.
Date of creation: Feb 2006
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2006-02-26 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-FMK-2006-02-26 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-HEA-2006-02-26 (Health Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2006-02-26 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ralph Paprzycki & Kyoji Fukao, 2004. "Overcoming economic stagnation in Japan: The importance of total factor productivity and the potential contribution of foreign direct investment," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d04-39, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ralph Paprzycki & Kyoji Fukao, 2005. "The Extent and History of Foreign Direct Investment in Japan," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-84, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ralph Paprzycki, 2004. "What Caused the Recent Surge of FDI into Japan?," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d04-31, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ralph Paprzycki, 2007. "The Determinants of and Prospects for Foreign Direct Investment in Japan," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d07-211, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.