Sustainable Development in an Aging Economy
AbstractIn this paper, we analyze the effects of population aging on economic growth and the environment in a two-period overlapping generations model of growth, aging, and the environment. We show that aging may be beneficial to economic growth and the environment under perfect annuitisation, while possibly harmful under imperfect annuitisation. We also discuss the implications of our results for environmental policy in an aging economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Discussion Paper with number 32.
Length: 18,  p.
Date of creation: Aug 2001
Date of revision:
Note: This version: August 2001, This paper is forthcoming in Environment and Development Economics.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186-8603
Web page: http://cis.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Population Aging; Overlapping Generations; Economic Growth; Sustainable Development; Environmental Externalities;
Other versions of this item:
- J10 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - General
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gutiérrez Huerta, María José, 2002.
"Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs,"
DFAEII Working Papers
2002-23, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Mar�A-José Gutiérrez, 2008. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(4), pages 563-594, 08.
- María José Gutiérrez, 2004. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/38, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Menz, Tobias & Welsch, Heinz, 2012. "Population aging and carbon emissions in OECD countries: Accounting for life-cycle and cohort effects," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 842-849.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Koji Sakaguchi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.