Comprehensive NNP, Social Welfare, and the Rate of Return
AbstractWe show that growth in NNP measured in constant prices indicates welfare improvement, provided that an observable rate of return measure is positive. This is an alternative welfare interpretation of growth in comprehensive NNP compared with that of Asheim and Weitzman (2001, this journal) which is based on a Divisia con- sumer price index.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 640.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: 27 Sep 2004
Date of revision: 04 Dec 2006
Publication status: Published in Economic Letters, 2006, pages 254-259.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Comprehensive NNP; welfare measurement; the rate of return;
Other versions of this item:
- Li, Chuan-Zhong & Lofgren, Karl-Gustaf, 2006. "Comprehensive NNP, social welfare, and the rate of return," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 254-259, February.
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-18 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asheim,G.B. & Weitzman,M.L., 2001.
"Does NNP growth indicate welfare improvement?,"
Memorandum, Oslo University, Department of Economics
02/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 2001. " A Contribution to the Theory of Welfare Accounting," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003.
"Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies,"
Working Papers, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei
2003.109, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 647-685, December.
- Dasgupta, Partha & M Ler, Karl-G Ran, 2000. "Net national product, wealth, and social well-being," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 69-93, February.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1976.
"On the Welfare Significance of National Product in a Dynamic Economy,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 156-62, February.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1974. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in Dynamic Economy," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics 125, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Heal, Geoffrey & Kristrom, Bengt, 2008. "A note on national income in a dynamic economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 2-8, January.
- Chuan-Zhong Li & Gunnar Isacsson, 2012. "Valuing urban accessibility and air quality in Sweden," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 881-898, June.
- Li, Chuan-Zhong & Isacsson, Gunnar, 2009. "Valuing urban accessibility and air quality in Sweden: A regional welfare analysis," Working Paper Series, Uppsala University, Department of Economics 2009:2, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.