Evaluating Projects in a Dynamic Economy: Some New Envelope Results
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the modern theory of social cost-bene.t analysis in a dynamic economy. The theory emphasizes the role of a comprehensive, forward- looking, dynamic welfare index within the period of the project rather than that of a project.s long-term consequences. However, what constitutes such a welfare index remains controversial in the recent literature. In this paper, we attempt to shed light on the issue by deriving three equivalent cost-bene.t rules for evaluating a small project. In particular, we show that the direct change in net national product (NNP) quali.es as a convenient welfare index without involving any other induced side e¤ects. The project evaluation criterion thus becomes the present discounted value of the direct changes in NNP over the project period. We also illustrate the application of this theory in a few stylized examples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 613.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 15 Sep 2003
Date of revision: 04 Dec 2006
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
dynamic cost-bene.t analysis; net national product; project evaluation; welfare index;
Other versions of this item:
- Chuan-Zhong Li & Karl-Gustaf Löfgren, 2008. "Evaluating Projects in a Dynamic Economy: Some New Envelope Results," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 1-16, 02.
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dasgupta, Partha & M Ler, Karl-G Ran, 2000. "Net national product, wealth, and social well-being," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 69-93, February.
- Boadway, Robin W, 1975.
"Cost-benefit Rules in General Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 361-74, July.
- Per-Olov Johansson & Karl-Gustaf Löfgren, 1996. "On the interpretation of ‘green’ NNP measures as cost-benefit rules," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 7(3), pages 243-250, April.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003.
"Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies,"
2003.109, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 647-685, December.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 2001. "Valuing Objects and Evaluating Policies in Imperfect Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(471), pages C1-29, May.
- Dreze, Jean & Stern, Nicholas, 1987. "The theory of cost-benefit analysis," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 909-989 Elsevier.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 2001. " A Contribution to the Theory of Welfare Accounting," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Dixit, Avinash & Hammond, Peter & Hoel, Michael, 1980. "On Hartwick's Rule for Regular Maximin Paths of Capital Accumulation and Resource Depletion," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 551-56, April.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Lofgren, Karl-Gustaf, 1999. "Welfare equivalent NNP under distributional objectives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 239-243, May.
- Asheim, G.B., 1998.
"Green National Accounting: Why and How?,"
08/1998, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Aronsson & Karl-Gustaf Löfgren, 1998. "Green Accounting in Imperfect Market Economies," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(3), pages 273-287, April.
- Caputo, Michael R., 1990. "How to do comparative dynamics on the back of an envelope in optimal control theory," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 655-683, October.
- Li, Chuan-Zhong & Löfgren, Karl-Gustaf, 2010.
"Dynamic cost-benefit analysis of large projects: The role of capital cost,"
Working Paper Series
2010:15, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Li, Chuan-Zhong & Löfgren, Karl-Gustaf, 2010. "Dynamic cost-benefit analysis of large projects: The role of capital cost," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 128-130, November.
- Löfgren, Karl-Gustaf, 2011. "On Envelope Theorems in Economics: Inspired by a Revival of a Forgotten Lecture," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 830, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Chuan-Zhong Li & Gunnar Isacsson, 2012. "Valuing urban accessibility and air quality in Sweden," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 881-898, June.
- Li, Chuan-Zhong & Isacsson, Gunnar, 2009. "Valuing urban accessibility and air quality in Sweden: A regional welfare analysis," Working Paper Series 2009:2, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.