A method for numerical and analytical solutions to a class of nonlinear optimal control problems
AbstractDynamic optimization problems cover a great class of problems in theoretical and applied economics and technology. In this account the exploitation of a general renewable capital stock is modeled through an alternative formulation to the classical optimal control approach. We propose a very simple alternating iterative algorithm that is shown to converge very fast towards a solution, where the accuracy of the solution can also be determined. The algorithm can also produce approximate closed form (analytical) feedback solutions. By using a special simple seed in the iteration scheme we reproduce perturbation results (formulae) that are published in the last decade. Often only two or three iteration steps are necessary to produce sufficiently accurate approximations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 2004/2.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 12 Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Capital Dynamics Modeling; Natural Resource Exploitation; Analytical and Numerical Contraction;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- Q00 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ragnar Arnason & Leif K. Sandal & Stein Ivar Steinshamn & Niels Vestergaard, 2004. "Optimal Feedback Controls: Comparative Evaluation of the Cod Fisheries in Denmark, Iceland, and Norway," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 531-542.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Leif K. Sandal & Stein Ivar Steinshamn, 2000. "How to Improve the Management of Renewable Resources: The Case of Canada's Northern Cod Fishery," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 570-580.
- LK Sandal & SI Steinshamn, 2001. "A Bio-Economic Model For Namibian Pilchard," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 69(2), pages 299-318, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.