Toward a Unified Approach to Testing for Weak Separability
AbstractIn this paper we propose a unified framework for testing weak separability. We present a new three-step procedure, which is a joint test of necessary and sufficient conditions that takes account of the possibilities of both measurement error and incomplete adjustment. We illustrate the operational capability of the procedure with an empirical example. At the present time our procedure works well in medium sized samples, but may not be practical for datasets with extremely large sample sizes. As computing technology continues to advance, however, high-powered methods like the one we propose should supplant testing approaches that were originally designed to circumvent computational limitations
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Lund University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2004:1.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 21 Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Economics Bulletin, 2005, pages 1-7.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Weak separability; measurement error; incomplete adjustment;
Other versions of this item:
- David Edgerton & Donald Dutkowsky & Thomas Elger & Barry Jones, 2005. "Toward a unified approach to testing for weak separability," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(20), pages 1-7.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-01-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-01-25 (Econometrics)
- NEP-MIC-2004-01-25 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rickertsen, Kyrre, 1998. "The demand for food and beverages in Norway," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 89-100, January.
- Varian, Hal R, 1983. "Non-Parametric Tests of Consumer Behaviour," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 99-110, January.
- Swofford, James L & Whitney, Gerald A, 1987. "Nonparametric Tests of Utility Maximization and Weak Separability for Consumption, Leisure and Money," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 458-64, August.
- Varian, Hal R., 1985. "Non-parametric analysis of optimizing behavior with measurement error," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 445-458.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-73, July.
- Manser, Marilyn E & McDonald, Richard J, 1988. "An Analysis of Substitution Bias in Measuring Inflation, 1959-85," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 909-30, July.
- Swofford, James L. & Whitney, Gerald A., 1994. "A revealed preference test for weakly separable utility maximization with incomplete adjustment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 235-249.
- Fisher, Douglas & Fleissig, Adrian R, 1997. "Monetary Aggregation and the Demand for Assets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 458-75, November.
- Barnett, William A & Choi, Seungmook, 1989. "A Monte Carlo Study of Tests of Blockwise Weak Separability," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 363-77, July.
- Barnett, William A. & de Peretti, Philippe, 2009.
"Admissible Clustering Of Aggregator Components: A Necessary And Sufficient Stochastic Seminonparametric Test For Weak Separability,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(S2), pages 317-334, September.
- Barnett, William A. & de Peretti, Philippe, 2008. "Admissible clustering of aggregator components: a necessary and sufficient stochastic semi-nonparametric test for weak separability," MPRA Paper 12503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William Barnett & Philippe de Peretti, 2009. "Admissible Clustering of Aggregator Components: A Necessary and Sufficient Stochastic Semi-Nonparametric Test for Weak Separability," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200904, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.