Empirical Probability Distributions of Real Return from Swedish Stock and Bond Portfolios
AbstractThis paper introduces a new non-parametric approach to integrate empirical probability functions of the real return for different investment horizons for five portfolios of Swedish stocks and bonds. In our setting the problem reduces to generating new generalizations from an empirical Markov chain. We find that the stocks yield a real return of about 7.5% and bonds about 3.0%. Our results suggest that an investor ought to avoid bonds in the long run. Finally if the investors goal is to minimize the risk of capital destruction the preferable long-run passive portfolio is a mix of bonds and stocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Lund University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2001:16.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 20 Sep 2001
Date of revision: 30 Jan 2002
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
Empirical distribution; stock returns; bond returns; real return; markovian bootstrap; MCMC;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N., 2001. "A Markovian Local Resampling Scheme For Nonparametric Estimators In Time Series Analysis," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 540-566, June.
- Hansson, Bjorn & Hordahl, Peter, 1997. " Changing Risk Premia: Evidence from a Small Open Economy," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(2), pages 335-50, June.
- Fishburn, Peter C, 1977. "Mean-Risk Analysis with Risk Associated with Below-Target Returns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 116-26, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.