Comparative Advantage, Terms of Trade and Welfare Effects of European Integration: Some Preliminary Assessments
AbstractThe paper presents a first attempt at assessing general equilibrium effects of 1992. Two kinds of general equilibrium effects are relevant: one (dampening) effect stemming from the common resource constraints, the other one related to the fact that the relative competitiveness of industries may be altered as a consequence of the integration. This paper focuses on the second type of general equilibrium effects, and the results show that there may be additional gains for the EC stemming from terms-of-trade improvements and reduced dependence on subsidized and protected industries. The paper also presents general equilibrium assessments for Norway, under various assumptions regarding Norwegian participation in the integration process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Industrial Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 272.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Nov 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Economic integration; Welfare; Trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J., 1988.
"Completing the Internal Market in the European Community: Some Industry Simulations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J., 1988. "Completing the internal market in the European Community : Some industry simulations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1501-1525, September.
- Richard Baldwin, 1989. "The Growth Effects of 1992," NBER Working Papers 3119, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan I. Haaland, 1990. "Assessing the Effects of EC Integration on EFTA Countries: the Position of Norway and Sweden," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(4), pages 379-400, 06.
- Haaland, Jan I, et al, 1987. " VEMOD: A Ricardo-Heckscher-Ohlin-Jones Model of World Trade," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(3), pages 251-70.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.