Strategic Foreign Direct Investment in Vertically Related Markets
AbstractBy using a simple North-South trade model with vertically related markets, this paper draws our attention to previously unidentified effects of foreign direct investment (FDI), namely that a North downstream firm affects the pricing behavior of an input supplier through technology spillovers and market integration led by FDI. Whether the North firm strategically undertakes FDI in the presence of technology spillovers depends on the South firm's capacity to absorb the North's technology. When capacity is not very high, the North firm could actually gain from technology spillovers to the South firm. FDI may benefit all producers and consumers. We also explore the South's policy measures to attract FDI. Our analysis suggests that the South's very tight intellectual property rights (IPR) protection may benefit neither side.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 12014.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jota Ishikawa & Eiji Horiuchi, 2012. "Strategic Foreign Direct Investment in Vertically Related Markets," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(281), pages 229-242, 06.
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2012-04-03 (International Trade)
- NEP-IPR-2012-04-03 (Intellectual Property Rights)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bjorvatn, Kjetil & Eckel, Carsten, 2006.
"Technology sourcing and strategic foreign direct investment,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20269, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Kjetil Bjorvatn & Carsten Eckel, 2006. "Technology Sourcing and Strategic Foreign Direct Investment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 600-614, 09.
- Bjorvatn, K. & Eckel, C., 2001. "Technology Sourcing and Strategic Foreign Direct Investment," Papers 28/2001, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Barrios, Salvador & Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2005.
"Foreign direct investment, competition and industrial development in the host country,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1761-1784, October.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GOERG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, 2004. "Foreign direct investment, competition and industrial development in the host country," CORE Discussion Papers 2004011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Glass, Amy Jocelyn & Saggi, Kamal, 1999.
"Multinational firms and technology transfer,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2067, The World Bank.
- Rachel Griffith & Helen Simpson & Stephen Redding, 2002.
"Productivity convergence and foreign ownership at the establishment level,"
IFS Working Papers
W02/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & Helen Simpson, 2003. "Productivity Convergence and Foreign Ownership at the Establishment Level," CEP Discussion Papers dp0573, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Griffith, Rachel & Redding, Stephen J & Simpson, Helen, 2002. "Productivity Convergence and Foreign Ownership at the Establishment Level," CEPR Discussion Papers 3765, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & Helen Simpson, 2003. "Productivity convergence and foreign ownership at the establishment level," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3666, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2002.
"Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2002-14, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Crowd Out Domestic Entrepreneurship?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 67-84, February.
- Amy Jocelyn Glass & Kamal Saggi, 1999.
"Foreign Direct Investment and the Nature of R&D,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 92-117, February.
- Ping Lin & Kamal Saggi, 1999. "Incentives for Foreign Direct Investment under Imitation," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(5), pages 1275-1298, November.
- Eiji Horiuchi & Jota Ishikawa, 2007.
"Tariffs and Technology Transfer through an Intermediate Product,"
2007-15, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Eiji Horiuchi & Jota Ishikawa, 2009. "Tariffs and Technology Transfer through an Intermediate Product," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(SI), pages 310-326, 05.
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J & Markusen, James R, 1987. "Strategic Investments and the Development of Multinationals," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(1), pages 109-21, February.
- Lai, Edwin L. -C., 1998. "International intellectual property rights protection and the rate of product innovation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 133-153, February.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Thierry Madiès & Jean-Jacques Dethier, 2012.
"Fiscal Competition In Developing Countries: A Survey Of The Theoretical And Empirical Literature,"
Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 3(02), pages 1250013-1-1.
- Madies, Thierry & Dethier, Jean-Jacques, 2010. "Fiscal competition in developing countries : a survey of the theoretical and empirical literature," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5311, The World Bank.
- Valletti, Tommaso M., 2003.
"Input price discrimination with downstream Cournot competitors,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 969-988, September.
- Valletti, Tommaso, 2002. "Input Price Discrimination with Downstream Cournot Competitors," CEPR Discussion Papers 3570, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlo Altomonte & Laura Resmini, 2001.
"Multinational Corporations as Catalyst for Industrial Development: The Case of Poland,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
368, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Carlo Altomonte & Laura Resmini, 2001. "Multinational Corporations as Catalyst for Industrial Development. The Case of Poland," LICOS Discussion Papers 9701, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Pack, Howard & Saggi, Kamal, 2001. "Vertical technology transfer via international outsourcing," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 389-415, August.
- Sophia Dimelis & Helen Louri, 2002. "Foreign ownership and production efficiency: a quantile regression analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(3), pages 449-469, July.
- Ishikawa, Jota, 2000. "From Segmented Markets to Integrated Markets: An Analysis of Economic Integration and Antidumping Law," Discussion Papers 2000-01, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Zigic, Kresimir, 1998. "Intellectual property rights violations and spillovers in North-South trade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1779-1799, November.
- Glass, Amy Jocelyn & Saggi, Kamal, 1998. "International technology transfer and the technology gap," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 369-398, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.