Import Competition, Product Differentiation and Mark-Ups - Microeconomic evidence from Swedish manufacturing in the 1990s
AbstractThis paper examines how import competition from different origins and the presence of product differentiation affect market power of Swedish manufacturing firms during the 1990s. Applying Roeger’s method (1995), I perform the empirical analysis based on detailed firm-level data and estimate an average mark-up level of Swedish manufacturing firms. The general finding is that imports from both European countries and other highincome countries outside Europe impose disciplinary effects on price-cost margin of Swedish manufacturing firms. The strongest effect is from the recent EU member countries. However, the competitive pressure associated with import is relaxed in the presence of product differentiation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trade Union Institute for Economic Research in its series Working Paper Series with number 195.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 07 Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Import competition; Mark-up; Market structure; Product differentiation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2004-10-21 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2005-01-05 (Industrial Competition)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1996.
"Returns to scale in U.S. production: estimates and implications,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
546, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Basu, Susanto & Fernald, John G, 1997. "Returns to Scale in U.S. Production: Estimates and Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 249-83, April.
- Holger Gæ””g & Frederic Warzynski, 2003.
"Price cost margins and exporting behaviour: Evidence from firm level data,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
13303, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Holger Görg & Frederic Warzynski, 2003. "Price Cost Margins and Exporting Behaviour: Evidence from Firm Level Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 365, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Harrison, Ann E., 1994. "Productivity, imperfect competition and trade reform : Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 53-73, February.
- Jozef Konings & Patrick Van Cayseele & Frederic Warzynski, 2002.
"The Effects of Privatization and Competitive Pressure on Firms?Price-cost Margins: Micro Evidence from Emerging Economies,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
12502, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Jozef Konings & Patrick Van Cayseele & Frederic Warzynski, 2005. "The Effects of Privatization and Competitive Pressure on Firms' Price-Cost Margins: Micro Evidence from Emerging Economies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 124-134, February.
- Konings, Jozef & Van Cayseele, Patrick & Warzynski, Frederic, 2003. "The Effect of Privatization and Competitive Pressure on Firms' Price-Cost Margins: Micro Evidence from Emerging Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3703, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Konings, Jozef & Van Cayseele, Patrick & Warzynski, Frédéric, 2003. "The Effects of Privatization and Competitive Pressure on Firms’ Price-Cost Margins: Micro Evidence from Emerging Economies," Working Papers 03-17, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- André Sapir & Alexis Jacquemin, 1991.
"Competition and imports in the European market,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8220, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jozef Konings & Patrick Van Cayseele & Frederic Warzynski, 1999.
"The Dynamics of Industrial Markups in Two Small Open Economies: Does National Competition Policy Matter ?,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces9914, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Konings, Jozef & Van Cayseele, Patrick & Warzynski, Frederic, 2001. "The dynamics of industrial mark-ups in two small open economies: does national competition policy matter?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 841-859, April.
- Krishna, Pravin & Mitra, Devashish, 1998.
"Trade liberalization, market discipline and productivity growth: new evidence from India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 447-462, August.
- Pravin Krishna & Devashish Mitra, . "Trade Liberalization, Market Discipline and Productivity Growth: New Evidence From India," Working Papers 96-8, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Martin, Christopher & Small, Ian, 1995. "Price, Marginal Cost and the Business Cycle," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 25-41, February.
- Joaquim Oliveira Martins & Stefano Scarpetta & Dirk Pilat, 1996. "Mark-Up Ratios in Manufacturing Industries: Estimates for 14 OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 162, OECD Publishing.
- Klette, T.J., 1998.
"Market Power, Scale Economies and Productivity: Estimates from a Panel of Establishment Data,"
15/1998, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Klette, Tor Jakob, 1999. "Market Power, Scale Economies and Productivity: Estimates from a Panel of Establishment Data," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 451-76, December.
- Hansson, Par, 1992. " The Discipline of Imports: The Case of Sweden," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(4), pages 589-97.
- Katics, Michelle M & Petersen, Bruce C, 1994. "The Effect of Rising Import Competition on Market Power: A Panel Data Study of U.S. Manufacturing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 277-86, September.
- Weber, Sascha A. & Anders, Sven, 2007.
"Price Rigidity and Market Power in German Retailing,"
31, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Sascha A. Weber & Sven M. Anders, 2007. "Price rigidity and market power in German retailing," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(7), pages 737-749.
- Weber, Sascha A. & Anders, Sven, 2005. "Price Rigidity and Market Power in German Retailing," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24721, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Selén, Jan & Ståhlberg, Ann-Charlotte, 2004. "Wage and Compensation Inequality — How Different?," Working Paper Series 197, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Peltonen, Tuomas A. & Skala, Martin & Santos Rivera, Alvaro & Pula, Gabor, 2008. "Imports and profitability in the euro area manufacturing sector: the role of emerging market economies," Working Paper Series 0918, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sune Karlsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.