A General Test for the Cointegrating Rank in Vector Autoregressive Models
AbstractThe article proposes a general test for the cointegrating rank in vector autoregressive models. The test is based on the eigenvalues of the companion matrix, more precisely on the sum of the real parts of those closest to one. The roots of the companion matrix are often inspected as a diagnostic tool. Here this practice is elevated to the level of a formal test. The asymptotic distribution of the test statistic is derived and tabulated by simulation. The new test is compared with the likelihood ratio test. Neither one of the tests is dominating the other over the entire parameter space. The new test safeguards the researcher against making spurious inferences on the cointegrating rank in the presence of explosive roots and of integration of higher order than one. A numerical illustration is given. It is shown that the limiting distribution of the eigenvalues closest to one of the companion matrix is free of nuisance parameters, a useful result in its own right. When applied to a univariate autoregressive model, the augmented Dickey—Fuller test is obtained. The new test can be regarded as the multivariate version of the Dickey—Fuller coefficent test of a unit root. When there is a single common trend, the suggested test statistic has the same asymptotic distribution as the least squares estimate of the autoregressive coeficent in a univariate first order autoregressive model with a unit root. In the numerical application the test is applied to Swedish money demand data, and it is shown how to determine the cointegrating rank using the new test. The results from a small sample simulation experiment mimicking the actual data used in the application are also discussed.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hanken School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 499.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 31 Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Note: This paper is published as: Ahlgren, Niklas and Nyblom, Jukka (2008), 'Tests against Stationary and Explosive Alternatives in Vector Autoregressive Models', Journal of Time Series Analysis, 29, 421-443.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hanken School of Economics, Arkadiankatu 22, P.O.B. 479; FIN 00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: +358-9-431 331
Fax: +358-9-431 33 333
Web page: http://www.hanken.fi
More information through EDIRC
Common trends; Companion matrix; Eigenvalue test; Integration of order 2; Rank determination; Unit roots;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-03-03 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-02-29 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kirstin Hubrich & Helmut Lutkepohl & Pentti Saikkonen, 2001.
"A Review Of Systems Cointegration Tests,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 247-318.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:5:p:1015-32 is not listed on IDEAS
- Toda, Hiro Y., 1995. "Finite Sample Performance of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegrating Ranks in Vector Autoregressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 1015-1032, October.
- Harris, D., 1996.
"Principal Components Analysis of Cointegrated Time Series,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
2/96, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Harris, David, 1997. "Principal Components Analysis of Cointegrated Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 529-557, August.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:13:y:1997:i:4:p:529-57 is not listed on IDEAS
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Phillips, P. C. B. & Ouliaris, S., 1988. "Testing for cointegration using principal components methods," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 205-230.
- Gonzalo, J. & Lee, T.H., 1995.
"Pitfalls in Testing for Long Run Relationships,"
38, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- repec:ner:carlos:info:hdl:10016/753 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-44, January.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & L tkepohl, Helmut, 2000.
"Testing For The Cointegrating Rank Of A Var Process With An Intercept,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(03), pages 373-406, June.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 1998. "Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with an intercept," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,51, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Staffan Dellringer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.