Tourism, jobs, capital accumulation and the economy: A dynamic analysis
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of tourism on labor employment, capital accumulation and resident welfare for a small open economy with unemployment. A tourism boom improves the terms of trade, increases labor employment, but lowers capital accumulation. The reduction in the capital stock depends on the degree of factor intensity. When the traded sector is weakly capital intensive, the fall in capital would not be so severe and the expansion of tourism improves welfare. However, when the traded sector is strongly capital intensive, the fall in capital can be a dominant factor to lower welfare. This immiserizing result of tourism on resident welfare is confirmed by the German data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series PSE Working Papers with number halshs-00590811.
Date of creation: Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00590811
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
tourism ; employment ; capital accumulation ; welfare;
Other versions of this item:
- Pasquale M. Sgro & Chi-Chur Chao & Bharat R. Hazari & Jean-Pierre Laffargue & Eden S. H. Yu, 2005. "Tourism, Jobs, Capital Accumulation and the Economy: A Dynamic Analysis," Working Papers, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei 2005.136, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cristina Santos & Alexandre Almeida & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2008. "Searching for clusters in tourism. A quantitative methodological proposal," FEP Working Papers, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto 293, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Schubert, Stefan Franz & Brida, Juan Gabriel, 2008. "The Dynamic Effects of Subsidizing the Tourism Sector," MPRA Paper 16755, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schubert, Stefan Franz & Brida, Juan Gabriel, 2009. "A Dynamic Model of Economic Growth in a Small Tourism Driven Economy," MPRA Paper 16737, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Juan Gabriel Brida & Silvia London & Mara Rojas, 2013. "A Dynamic Model of Tourism and Economic Growth: the Role of Physical and Human Capital," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1361-1373.
- Schubert, Stefan Franz, 2009. "Coping with Externalities in Tourism - A Dynamic Optimal Taxation Approach," MPRA Paper 16736, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.