Financial Markets Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Agents
AbstractThis paper presents an equilibrium model in a pure exchange economy when investors have three possible sources of heterogeneity. Investors may dier in their beliefs, in their level of risk aversion and in their time preference rate. We study the impact of investors heterogeneity on the properties of the equilibrium. In particular, we analyze the consumption shares, the market price of risk, the risk free rate, the bond prices at dierent maturities, the stock price and volatility as well as the stock's cumulative returns, and optimal portfolio strategies. We relate the heterogeneous economy with the family of associated homogeneous economies with only one class of investors. We consider cross sectional as well as asymptotic properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00488537.
Date of creation: 02 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Review of Finance, 2012, 16, 1, 285-321
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00488537
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
equilibrium; heterogeneous agents; volatility; optimal portfolios; survival; yield curve; long yield;
Other versions of this item:
- Jaksa Cvitanic & Elyès Jouini & Semyon Malamud & Clotilde Napp, 2011. "Financial Markets Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Agents," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 285-321.
- Napp, Clotilde & Malamud, Semyon & Jouini, Elyès & Cvitanic, Jaksa, 2012. "Financial Markets Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Agents," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4724, Paris Dauphine University.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-07 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dumas, Bernard, 1989. "Two-Person Dynamic Equilibrium in the Capital Market," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(2), pages 157-88.
- Elyès Jouini & Jean-Michel Marin & Clotilde Napp, 2010.
"Discounting and Divergence of Opinion,"
- Riedel, Frank, 2001. "Existence of Arrow-Radner Equilibrium with Endogenously Complete Markets under Incomplete Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 109-122, March.
- Clotilde Napp & Elyès Jouini, 2007.
"Consensus consumer and intertemporal asset pricing with heterogeneous beliefs,"
- Ely�s Jouini & Clotilde Napp, 2007. "Consensus Consumer and Intertemporal Asset Pricing with Heterogeneous Beliefs," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1149-1174.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp, 2003. "Consensus consumer and intertemporal asset pricing with heterogeneous beliefs," Finance 0312001, EconWPA.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Stefan Nagel, 2008. "Do Wealth Fluctuations Generate Time-Varying Risk Aversion? Micro-evidence on Individuals," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 713-36, June.
- Mele, Antonio, 2007. "Asymmetric stock market volatility and the cyclical behavior of expected returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 446-478, November.
- Kogan, Leonid & Ross, Stephen & Wang, Jiang & Westerfield, Mark, 2003.
"The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders,"
4293-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Leonid Kogan & Stephen A. Ross & Jiang Wang & Mark M. Westerfield, 2006. "The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 195-229, 02.
- Leonid Kogan & Stephen Ross & Jiang Wang & Mark Westerfield, 2003. "The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders," NBER Working Papers 9434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berrada, Tony & Hugonnier, Julien & Rindisbacher, Marcel, 2007. "Heterogeneous preferences and equilibrium trading volume," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 719-750, March.
- Tony Berrada, 2009. "Bounded Rationality and Asset Pricing with Intermediate Consumption," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 13(4), pages 693-725.
- Cvitanic Jaksa & Malamud Semyon, 2010. "Relative Extinction of Heterogeneous Agents," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Detemple, Jerome & Murthy, Shashidhar, 1997. "Equilibrium Asset Prices and No-Arbitrage with Portfolio Constraints," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1133-74.
- Jiang, Wang, 1996. "The term structure of interest rates in a pure exchange economy with heterogeneous investors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 75-110, May.
- Raman Uppal & Harjoat Bhamra, 2013.
"Asset Prices with Heterogeneity in Preferences and Beliefs,"
2013 Meeting Papers
1344, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bhamra, Harjoat Singh & Uppal, Raman, 2013. "Asset Prices with Heterogeneity in Preferences and Beliefs," CEPR Discussion Papers 9459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jaksa CVITANIC & Semyon MALAMUD, . "Equilibrium Driven by Discounted Dividend Volatility," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 09-34, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Duffie, J Darrell & Huang, Chi-fu, 1985. "Implementing Arrow-Debreu Equilibria by Continuous Trading of Few Long-lived Securities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1337-56, November.
- Georgy Chabakauri, 2010. "Asset pricing with heterogeneous investors and portfolio constraints," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 43142, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Agostino Capponi & Martin Larsson, 2011. "Default and Systemic Risk in Equilibrium," Papers 1108.1133, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2011.
- Georgy Chabakauri, 2012. "Asset Pricing with Heterogeneous Investors and Portfolio Constraints," 2012 Meeting Papers 636, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Martin Larsson, 2013. "Non-Equivalent Beliefs and Subjective Equilibrium Bubbles," Papers 1306.5082, arXiv.org.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Helene Rey & Nicolas Govillot, 2010. "Exorbitant Privilege and Exorbitant Duty," IMES Discussion Paper Series 10-E-20, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Jouini, Elyès & Napp, Clotilde, 2014. "How to aggregate experts' discount rates: An equilibrium approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 235-243.
- Michail Anthropelos, 2012. "Agents' Strategic Behavior in Optimal Risk Sharing," Papers 1206.0384, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.