Financial Markets Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Agents
AbstractThis paper presents an equilibrium model in a pure exchange economy when investors have three possible sources of heterogeneity. Investors may dier in their beliefs, in their level of risk aversion and in their time preference rate. We study the impact of investors heterogeneity on the properties of the equilibrium. In particular, we analyze the consumption shares, the market price of risk, the risk free rate, the bond prices at dierent maturities, the stock price and volatility as well as the stock's cumulative returns, and optimal portfolio strategies. We relate the heterogeneous economy with the family of associated homogeneous economies with only one class of investors. We consider cross sectional as well as asymptotic properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00488537.
Date of creation: 02 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Review of Finance, 2012, 16, 1, 285-321
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00488537
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
equilibrium; heterogeneous agents; volatility; optimal portfolios; survival; yield curve; long yield;
Other versions of this item:
- Jaksa Cvitanic & Elyès Jouini & Semyon Malamud & Clotilde Napp, 2011. "Financial Markets Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Agents," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 285-321.
- Napp, Clotilde & Malamud, Semyon & Jouini, Elyès & Cvitanic, Jaksa, 2012. "Financial Markets Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Agents," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4724, Paris Dauphine University.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-07 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leonid Kogan & Stephen Ross & Jiang Wang & Mark Westerfield, 2003.
"The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders,"
NBER Working Papers
9434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonid Kogan & Stephen A. Ross & Jiang Wang & Mark M. Westerfield, 2006. "The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 195-229, 02.
- Kogan, Leonid & Ross, Stephen & Wang, Jiang & Westerfield, Mark, 2003. "The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders," Working papers 4293-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Clotilde Napp & Elyès Jouini, 2007.
"Consensus consumer and intertemporal asset pricing with heterogeneous beliefs,"
- Ely�s Jouini & Clotilde Napp, 2007. "Consensus Consumer and Intertemporal Asset Pricing with Heterogeneous Beliefs," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1149-1174.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp, 2003. "Consensus consumer and intertemporal asset pricing with heterogeneous beliefs," Finance 0312001, EconWPA.
- Riedel, Frank, 2001. "Existence of Arrow-Radner Equilibrium with Endogenously Complete Markets under Incomplete Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 109-122, March.
- Elyès Jouini & Jean-Michel Marin & Clotilde Napp, 2010.
"Discounting and Divergence of Opinion,"
- Berrada, Tony & Hugonnier, Julien & Rindisbacher, Marcel, 2007. "Heterogeneous preferences and equilibrium trading volume," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 719-750, March.
- Cvitanic Jaksa & Malamud Semyon, 2010. "Relative Extinction of Heterogeneous Agents," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Stefan Nagel, 2008. "Do Wealth Fluctuations Generate Time-Varying Risk Aversion? Micro-evidence on Individuals," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 713-36, June.
- Jiang, Wang, 1996. "The term structure of interest rates in a pure exchange economy with heterogeneous investors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 75-110, May.
- Mele, Antonio, 2007. "Asymmetric stock market volatility and the cyclical behavior of expected returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 446-478, November.
- Detemple, Jerome & Murthy, Shashidhar, 1997. "Equilibrium Asset Prices and No-Arbitrage with Portfolio Constraints," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1133-74.
- Jaksa CVITANIC & Semyon MALAMUD, . "Equilibrium Driven by Discounted Dividend Volatility," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 09-34, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Tony Berrada, 2009. "Bounded Rationality and Asset Pricing with Intermediate Consumption," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 13(4), pages 693-725.
- Duffie, J Darrell & Huang, Chi-fu, 1985. "Implementing Arrow-Debreu Equilibria by Continuous Trading of Few Long-lived Securities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1337-56, November.
- Martin Larsson, 2013. "Non-Equivalent Beliefs and Subjective Equilibrium Bubbles," Papers 1306.5082, arXiv.org.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Helene Rey & Nicolas Govillot, 2010. "Exorbitant Privilege and Exorbitant Duty," IMES Discussion Paper Series 10-E-20, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Agostino Capponi & Martin Larsson, 2011. "Default and Systemic Risk in Equilibrium," Papers 1108.1133, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2011.
- Michail Anthropelos, 2012. "Agents' Strategic Behavior in Optimal Risk Sharing," Papers 1206.0384, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2013.
- Jouini, Elyès & Napp, Clotilde, 2014. "How to aggregate experts' discount rates: An equilibrium approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 235-243.
- Georgy Chabakauri, 2012. "Asset Pricing with Heterogeneous Investors and Portfolio Constraints," 2012 Meeting Papers 636, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.