Barriers to the adoption of renewable and energy-efficient technologies in the Vietnamese power sector
AbstractThis paper examines the major barriers to the deployment of geothermal, small hydro and advanced coal power generation technologies in Vietnam. It ranks their severity by applying the analytical hierarchy process to data from a survey of 37 domestic experts and stakeholders. Key barriers to a wider penetration of small hydro generation technologies are insufficient capital, a lack of domestic suppliers and unsatisfactory government policies. Barriers to geothermal power are related to information and awareness problems, a lack of R&D and industrial capability, a weak policy framework and the remoteness of geothermal sites. For advanced coal power technologies, the barriers are weak industrial capability, high cost and a lack of technical knowledge. The experts consulted in this study view changes in government actions as the key to overcoming the abovementioned barriers. They recommend investing more in R&D activities, improving R&D capacity through joint-venture schemes and reforming investment policy/legislation for the electric power industry as the most appropriate solutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00444826.
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, GMSARN International Journal, 2010, 4, 2, 89-104
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00444826
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
analytical hierarchy process; renewables; energy efficient technologies.;
Other versions of this item:
- Nhan, T. Nguyen & Minh Ha-Duong & Thanh C. Tran & Ram M. Shrestha & Franck Nadaud, 2010. "Barriers to the adoption of renewable and energy-efficient technologies in the Vietnamese power sector," CIRED Working Papers halshs-00464675, HAL.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Hao & Nakata, Toshihiko, 2009. "Analysis of the market penetration of clean coal technologies and its impacts in China's electricity sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 338-351, January.
- Madhu Khanna & David Zilberman, 1999. "Barriers to Energy-Efficiency in Electricity Generation in India," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 25-41.
- Kavouridis, K. & Koukouzas, N., 2008. "Coal and sustainable energy supply challenges and barriers," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 693-703, February.
- Nhan Thanh Nguyen & Minh Ha-Duong & Sandra Greiner & Michael Mehling, 2011. "Implementing the Clean Development Mechanism in Vietnam: potential and limitations," Post-Print halshs-00654294, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.