On multiply monotone distributions, continuous or discrete, with applications
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the class of distributions, continuous or discrete, whose shape is monotone of finite integer order t. A characterization is presented as a mixture of a minimum of t independent uniform distributions. Then, a comparison of t-monotone distributions is made using the s-convex stochastic orders. A link is also pointed out with an alternative approach to monotonicity based on a stationary-excess operator. Finally, the monotonicity property is exploited to reinforce the classical Markov and Lyapunov inequalities. The results are illustrated by several applications to insurance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00750562.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Journal of Applied Probability, 2013, 50, 3, 603-907
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00750562
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claude Lefèvre & Stéphane Loisel, 2010.
"Stationary-excess operator and convex stochastic orders,"
- Lefèvre, Claude & Loisel, Stéphane, 2010. "Stationary-excess operator and convex stochastic orders," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 64-75, August.
- Denuit, Michel & Vylder, Etienne De & Lefevre, Claude, 1999. "Extremal generators and extremal distributions for the continuous s-convex stochastic orderings," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 201-217, May.
- Denuit, Michel & Lefevre, Claude, 1997. "Some new classes of stochastic order relations among arithmetic random variables, with applications in actuarial sciences," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 197-213, October.
- Denuit, Michel & Lefevre, Claude & Mesfioui, M'hamed, 1999. "On s-convex stochastic extrema for arithmetic risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 143-155, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.