French firm's financing choices: towards a reconciliation of the static trade-off theory and the pecking order theory?
AbstractThe main purpose of this study is to examine the validity of the static trade-off theory and the pecking order theory using a French panel data. Our empirical tests provide that we can not formally reject either of the two theories explaining financing behavior. However, they confirm the importance of considerations provided by the static trade-off theory. On the contrary, when we combine the adjustment model and the pecking order model we find that the statistical power of the hierarchical model is improved and the choice of financing of French firms confirms the greatest explanatory power of the pecking order hypotheses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00603762.
Date of creation: 04 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published - Presented, Global Economics, Finance and Management Conference, 2011, TORONTO, Canada
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00603762/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
capital structure; trade-off theory; pecking order theory;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2011-07-13 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-INT-2011-07-13 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2003. "Testing the pecking order theory of capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 217-248, February.
- Delcoure, Natalya, 2007. "The determinants of capital structure in transitional economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 400-415.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- D'Mello, Ranjan & Farhat, Joseph, 2008. "A comparative analysis of proxies for an optimal leverage ratio," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 213-227, August.
- Helwege, Jean & Liang, Nellie, 1996. "Is there a pecking order? Evidence from a panel of IPO firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 429-458, March.
- Maria Psillaki & Nikolaos Daskalakis, 2009. "Are the determinants of capital structure country or firm specific?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 319-333, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.