Capital structure of small companies in the Spanish footwear sector: relevant factors
AbstractThis study suggests the preponderance of the pecking order theory over the trade-off theory when there are greater problems of information asymmetry, which is more usual in small-sized firms. The results show that debt level has an inverse relationship with non-debt tax shield and direct relationship with investment in fixed assets, supporting the trade-off theory. However, the positive coefficient of growth opportunities and negative coefficient of debt cost, age and cash flows is consistent with the prediction of the pecking order theory. Results taken from a sample of small Spanish companies in the footwear sector during the period 1998–2006, revealed that in absence of asymmetric information, firms with positive cash flows will prefer debt because (a) they want to maintain their optimal capital structure; (b) they have greater needs to shield this cash flow from corporate tax and (c) they are concerned about the problem of over-investments, which means that they issue debt in order to discipline the firm’s managers. The relationship between growth opportunities and debt level was positive. This is not surprising due to the need to finance these investment opportunities with debt, because rapidly growing firms are likely to have insufficient earnings to finance internally all of their growth. Furthermore, the low debt level of companies in the Spanish footwear sector also helps to explain this relationship due to the importance of R&D investments for this industry, which lenders value as strategic investments. Finally, small businesses face high transaction costs derived from typical agency problems and financial restriction on capital markets. Such high transaction costs justify the gap between the target and the current debt level and are responsible for the slow approach of their debt level to the target ratio. Copyright The Author(s) 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Spanish Economic Association in its journal SERIEs.
Volume (Year): 4 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/13209
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Booth, L. & Asli Demirgu-Kunt, V.A. & Maksimovic, V., 1999.
"Capital Structure in Developing Countries,"
Rotman School of Management - Finance
00-001, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Christopher B. Barry & Steven C. Mann & Vassil T. Mihov & Mauricio Rodríguez, 2008. "Corporate Debt Issuance and the Historical Level of Interest Rates," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(3), pages 413-430, 09.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2009.
"Capital Structure Decisions: Which Factors are Reliably Important?,"
22525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Murray Z. Frank & Vidhan K. Goyal, 2009. "Capital Structure Decisions: Which Factors Are Reliably Important?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 1-37, 03.
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Goyal, Vidhan K. & Lehn, Kenneth & Racic, Stanko, 2002. "Growth opportunities and corporate debt policy: the case of the U.S. defense industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 35-59, April.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2003. "Testing the pecking order theory of capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 217-248, February.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1989.
"Reputation Acquisition in Debt Markets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 828-62, August.
- Lööf, Hans, 2004.
"Dynamic Optimal Capital Structure and Technical Change,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
23, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Loof, Hans, 2004. "Dynamic optimal capital structure and technical change," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 449-468, December.
- Chakraborty, Indrani, 2010. "Capital structure in an emerging stock market: The case of India," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 295-314, September.
- Michaelas, Nicos & Chittenden, Francis & Poutziouris, Panikkos, 1999. " Financial Policy and Capital Structure Choice in U.K. SMEs: Empirical Evidence from Company Panel Data," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 113-30, March.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Giannetti, M., 2000.
"Do Better Institutions Mitigate Agency Problems? Evidence from Corporate Finance Choices,"
376, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2003. "Do Better Institutions Mitigate Agency Problems? Evidence from Corporate Finance Choices," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 185-212, March.
- Mariassunta Giannetti, 2000. "Do Better Institutions Mitigate Agency Problems? Evidence from Corporate Finance Choices," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 376, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994.
"What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
NBER Working Papers
4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995. " What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, .
"Testing Tradeoff and Pecking Order Predictions about Dividends and Debt.”,"
CRSP working papers
506, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Eugene F. Fama, 2002. "Testing Trade-Off and Pecking Order Predictions About Dividends and Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Vicente Cuñat, 1999. "Determinantes del plazo de endeudamiento de las empresas españolas," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 23(3), pages 351-392, September.
- Gavin Cassar & Scott Holmes, 2003.
"Capital structure and financing of SMEs: Australian evidence,"
Accounting and Finance,
Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 0(2), pages 123-147.
- Gavin Cassar & Scott Holmes, 2003. "Capital structure and financing of SMEs: Australian evidence," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 43(2), pages 123-147.
- Chen, Jean J., 2004. "Determinants of capital structure of Chinese-listed companies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(12), pages 1341-1351, December.
- Bougheas, Spiros & Mizen, Paul & Yalcin, Cihan, 2006. "Access to external finance: Theory and evidence on the impact of monetary policy and firm-specific characteristics," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 199-227, January.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Huang, Guihai & Song, Frank M., 2006. "The determinants of capital structure: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 14-36.
- Wald, John K, 1999. "How Firm Characteristics Affect Capital Structure: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-87, Summer.
- Jensen, Gerald R. & Solberg, Donald P. & Zorn, Thomas S., 1992. "Simultaneous Determination of Insider Ownership, Debt, and Dividend Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 247-263, June.
- Céspedes, Jacelly & González, Maximiliano & Molina, Carlos A., 2010. "Ownership and capital structure in Latin America," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 248-254, March.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Jalilvand, Abolhassan & Harris, Robert S, 1984. " Corporate Behavior in Adjusting to Capital Structure and Dividend Targets: An Econometric Study," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 127-45, March.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael L. Lemmon & Michael R. Roberts & Jaime F. Zender, 2008. "Back to the Beginning: Persistence and the Cross-Section of Corporate Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(4), pages 1575-1608, 08.
- de Miguel, Alberto & Pindado, Julio, 2001. "Determinants of capital structure: new evidence from Spanish panel data," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 77-99, March.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Deesomsak, Rataporn & Paudyal, Krishna & Pescetto, Gioia, 2004. "The determinants of capital structure: evidence from the Asia Pacific region," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4-5), pages 387-405.
- Bradley, Michael & Jarrell, Gregg A & Kim, E Han, 1984. " On the Existence of an Optimal Capital Structure: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 857-78, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.