Complementarity between private and public investment in R&D: A Dynamic Panel Data analysis
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between private and public investment in R&D, while taking into account the effect of several instruments policies such as subsidies and taxes. We design a new look of knowledge spillovers and R&D cooperation to explain the contribution of public and private R&D on growth. We propose a heterogeneous dynamic panel data model to consider the endogenous effect of R&D investment. We also distinguish between the estimated long and short run results. Our results based on a sample of 23 countries over the period 1992-2004 indicate that both public and private investments in R&D are complementary. By establishing an endogenous growth model, the estimates indicate that public and private R&D depends on the host country's human capital investment. Results indicate that foreign direct investment is a more significant spillover channel than imports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00388525.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published - Presented, IAENG Conferences - WCE 2009 International Conference of Computational Statistics and Data Engineering, 2009, London, United Kingdom
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00388525/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
R&D investment; Technology Spillovers; Complementarities; Economic growth; Dynamic Panel Data; Cointegration; Unit root test; Private investment; Public investment; R&D cooperation;
Other versions of this item:
- Sadraoui Tarek & Naceur Ben Zina, 2009. "Complementarity between private and public investment in R&D: A Dynamic Panel Data analysis," Papers 0905.4272, arXiv.org.
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2009-05-30 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-FDG-2009-05-30 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-INO-2009-05-30 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2009-05-30 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-MIC-2009-05-30 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrique López-Bazo & Francisco Requena & Guadalupe Serrano, 2006. "Complementarity Between Local Knowledge And Internationalization In Regional Technological Progress," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(5), pages 901-929.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.