Ageing and retirement age. What can we learn from the Overlapping Generations Model ?
AbstractIn this paper, the two-period OLG model has been modified to distinguish the effects of individual ageing from changes in the birth rate. Optimal pension and retirement age policies have been characterized in a dynamic framework. We have considered a mixed pension scheme that is fully funded, but offers agents an actuarially fair choice on their retirement age. We show that this mixed pension scheme makes it possible to implement the optimal solution. The numerical simulations describe the dilemmas France currently faces.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00452561.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00452561
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Pensions; retirement age; Overlapping Generation Model.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Gertler, 1997.
"Government Debt and Social Security in a Life-Cycle Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
6000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gertler, Mark, 1999. "Government debt and social security in a life-cycle economy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 61-110, June.
- Gertler, Mark, 1997. "Government Debt and Social Security in a Life-Cycle Economy," Working Papers 97-14, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Didier Blanchet & Louis-Paul Pele, 1999.
"Social Security and Retirement in France,"
in: Social Security and Retirement around the World, pages 101-133
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Lozachmeur, Jean-Marie & Pestieau, Pierre, 2004.
"Social security, retirement age and optimal income taxation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(11), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Helmuth Cremer & Jean-Marie Lozachmeur & Pierre Pestieau, 2002. "Social Security, Retirement Age and Optimal Income Taxation," CESifo Working Paper Series 693, CESifo Group Munich.
- CREMER, Helmuth & LOZACHMEUR, Jean-Marie & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Social security, retirement age and optimal income taxation," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1722, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pascal Belan & Pierre Pestieau, 1999.
"Privatizing Social Security: A Critical Assessment,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 114-130, January.
- BELAN, Pascal & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1997. "Privatizing social security: a critical assessment," CORE Discussion Papers 1997084, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BELAN, Pascal & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Privatizing social security: A critical assessment," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1407, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Philippe Michel & Pierre Pestieau, 2000.
"Retraite par répartition et âge de la retraite,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 51(1), pages 15-30.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- de la Croix,David & Michel,Philippe, 2002.
"A Theory of Economic Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521001151, December.
- Long, John B, Jr & Plosser, Charles I, 1983. "Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-69, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.