Exploring the "mechanics" of firm growth : evidence from a short-panel VAR
AbstractThis paper offers many new insights into the processes of firm growth by applying a vector autoregression (VAR) model to longitudinal panel data on French manufacturing firms. We observe the co-evolution of key variables such as growth of employment, sales, gross operating surplus and labour productivity growth. Preliminary results suggest that employment growth is succeeded by the growth of sales, which in turn is followed by growth of profits. Generally speaking, however, growth of profits is not followed by much employment growth or sales growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00175048.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00175048
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Firm growth; panel VAR; employment growth; industrial dynamics; productivity growth.;
Other versions of this item:
- Alex Coad, 2007. "Exploring the "mechanics" of firm growth : evidence from a short-panel VAR," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne r07037, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alexander Coad, 2007. "Disentangling the firm growth process: evidence from a recursive panel VAR," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2007-15, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Alex Coad & Rekha Rao & Federico Tamagni, 2008.
"Growth Processes of Italian Manufacturing Firms,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2008-039, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Martin Binder & Alex Coad, 2009. "An Examination of the Dynamics of Happiness Using Vector Autoregressions," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2009-04, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Alexander Coad & Rekha Rao, 2007.
"Firm Growth and R&D Expenditure,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2007-10, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.