On capital gain taxation
AbstractThis note provides an explanation for why tax rates on capital gains are usually lower than ordinary income tax rates based on manager's agency problem related to "empire-building" or the underinvestment problem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Guelph, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0813.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2009-01-03 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2009-01-03 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2009-01-03 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2005.
"Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behavior: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 120(3), pages 791-833, August.
- Chetty, Raj & Saez, Emmanuel, 2004. "Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behaviour: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," CEPR Discussion Papers 4722, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2004. "Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behavior: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," NBER Working Papers 10841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Poterba, 2004.
"Taxation and Corporate Payout Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
10321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dittmar, Amy & Mahrt-Smith, Jan & Servaes, Henri, 2003. "International Corporate Governance and Corporate Cash Holdings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 111-133, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dianqin Wang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.