Income Inequality and Economic Development: Evidence from the Threshold Regression Model
AbstractUsing panel data we investigate the relationship between income inequality and economic development. We employ a threshold regression model that allows for endogenous income thresholds and find strong evidence of a two-regime split in our sample.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers with number 2000-2.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ; INCOME DISTRIBUTION;
Other versions of this item:
- Savvides, Andreas & Stengos, Thanasis, 2000. "Income inequality and economic development: evidence from the threshold regression model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 207-212, November.
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anand, Sudhir & Kanbur, S. M. R., 1993. "The Kuznets process and the inequality--development relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 25-52, February.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Eusufzai, Zaki, 1997. "The Kuznets hypothesis: An indirect test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 81-85, January.
- Guastella, G. & Moro, D. & Sckokai, P. & Veneziani, M., 2013.
"CAP Effects on Agricultural Investment Demand in Europe,"
2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C.
150619, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Guastella, G. & Moro, D. & Sckokai, P. & Veneziani, M., 2013. "CAP Effects on Agricultural Investment Demand in Europe," Proceedings Issues, 2013: Productivity and Its Impacts on Global Trade, June 2-4, 2013. Seville, Spain 152256, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Guastella, G. & Moro, D. & Sckokai, P. & Veneziani, M., 2013. "CAP Effects on Agricultural Investment Demand in Europe," 2013 Second Congress, June 6-7, 2013, Parma, Italy 149758, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Robert-Paul Berben, 2003. "Does stock market uncertainty impair the use of monetary indicators in the euro area?," MEB Series (discontinued) 2003-15, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Chen, Zhuo, 2007. "Development and inequality: Evidence from an endogenous switching regression without regime separation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 269-274, August.
- Ayal Kimhi, 2004. "Growth, Inequality and Labor Markets in LDCs: A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 1281, CESifo Group Munich.
- Reuter & Ulrich, 2004. "The Effects of Intraregional Disparities on Regional Development in China: Inequality Decomposition and Panel-Data Analysis," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 716, Econometric Society.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2004. "Growth, Inequality and Poverty Relationships," IZA Discussion Papers 1338, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- García Gámez, Sofía & Vicéns Otero, José, 2006. "Determining factors in the measurement of the sovereign risk in the emerging countries/Factores condicionantes en la medición del riesgo soberano en los países emergentes," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 24, pages 245-272, Abril.
- Guastella,Giovanni & Moro, Daniele & Sckokai, Paolo & Veneziani, Mario, 2013. "Investment behaviour of EU arable crop farms in selected EU countries and the impact of policy reforms," Factor Markets Working Papers 154, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Been-Lon Chen & Jang-Ting Guo, 2005. "Income Inequality and Economic Growth: A Simple Theoretical Synthesis," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 6(2), pages 319-329, November.
- Partha Gangopadhyay & Biswa N. Bhattacharyay, 2012. "Can there be a Wave-Like Association between Economic Growth and Inequality? Theory and Lessons for East Asia from the Middle East," CESifo Working Paper Series 3953, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alvargonzalez, M. & Lopez, A. & Perez, R., 2004. "Growth-Inequality Relationship. An Analytical Approach and Some Evidence for Latin America," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(2).
- David Castells & Vicente Royuela, 2011. "Agglomeration, Inequality and Economic Growth," IREA Working Papers 201114, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Apr 2012.
- Yu, Ping, 2012. "Likelihood estimation and inference in threshold regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 274-294.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Kosempel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.