Evaluation of Swedish Youth Labour Market Programmes
AbstractThis paper evaluates two Swedish active labour market programmes for youth, namely youth practice and labour market training. A non-parametric matching approach is applied to estimate the average program effects. Moreover, the results obtained by matching are compared to results from standard linear regression and probit models, and a polychotomous selectivity model. The results indicate either zero or negative effects of both programmes on earnings, re-employment probability and probability of studies in the short run, whereas some of the long-run effects are estimated positive. However, there is much heterogeneity in the estimated treatment effects among the individuals.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Uppsala - Working Paper Series in its series Papers with number 2000:6.
Length: 72 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UPPSALA UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, S-751 20 UPPSALA SWEDEN.
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
LABOUR MARKET ; ECONOMETRICS ; YOUTH;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Public Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael White and Genevieve Knight, 2003. "Benchmarking the effectiveness of NDYP: A review of European and US literature on the microeconomic effects of labour market programmes for young people," PSI Research Discussion Series 10, Policy Studies Institute, UK.
- Rabe, Birgitta, 2000. "Wirkungen aktiver Arbeitsmarktpolitik: Evaluierungsergebnisse für Deutschland, Schweden, Dänemark und die Niederlande ; Gutachten im Auftrag des Bundeskanzleramtes für die Benchmarking-Gruppe des B," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Labor Market Policy and Employment FS I 00-208, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Barbara Sianesi, 2001.
"Differential effects of Swedish active labour market programmes for unemployed adults during the 1990s,"
IFS Working Papers
W01/25, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Sianesi, Barbara, 2002. "Differential effects of Swedish active labour market programmes for unemployed adults during the 1990s," Working Paper Series 2002:5, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Michael Lechner, 2005.
"Some practical issues in the evaluation of heterogeneous labour market programmes by matching methods,"
Labor and Demography
- Michael Lechner, 2002. "Some practical issues in the evaluation of heterogeneous labour market programmes by matching methods," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 165(1), pages 59-82.
- Peter Fredriksson & Per Johansson, 2003.
"Program Evaluation and Random Program Starts,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
844, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fredriksson, Peter & Johansson, Per, 2002. "Program evaluation and random program starts," Working Paper Series 2003:1, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Fredriksson, Peter & Johansson, Per, 2002. "Program Evaluation and Random Program Starts," Working Paper Series 2003:1, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Stenberg, Anders & Westerlund, Olle, 2004.
"Does Comprehensive Education Work for the Long-term Unemployed?,"
UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies
641, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Stenberg, Anders & Westerlund, Olle, 2008. "Does comprehensive education work for the long-term unemployed," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 54-67, February.
- Raaum, Oddbjørn & Torp, Hege & Zhang, Tao, 2003. "Business cycles and the impact of labour market programmes," Memorandum 14/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Konle-Seidl, Regina, 2005. "Lessons learned: Internationale Evaluierungsergebnisse zu Wirkungen aktiver und aktivierender Arbeitsmarktpolitik," IAB-Forschungsbericht 200509, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Jochen Kluve & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2002. "Can training and employment subsidies combat European unemployment?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 409-448, October.
- Raaum, Oddbjørn & Torp, Hege & Zhang, Tao, 2003. "Do individual programme effects exceed the costs? Norwegian evidence on long run effects of labour market training," Memorandum 15/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Eva Reinowski, 2004. "Mikroökonometrische Evaluation und das Selektionsproblem – Ein anwendungsorientierter Überblick über nichtparametrische Lösungsverfahren –," IWH Discussion Papers 200, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Lindgren, Urban & Westerlund, Olle, 2003. "Labour market programmes and geographical mobility: migration and commuting among programme participants and openly unemployed," Working Paper Series 2003:6, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Richard Disney & Eleonora Fischera & Trudy Owens, . "Has the Introduction of Microfinance Crowded-out Informal Loans in Malawi?," Discussion Papers 10/08, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Fredriksson, Peter & Johansson, Per, 2003.
"Employment, mobility, and active labor market programs,"
Working Paper Series
2003:3, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Fredriksson, Peter & Johansson, Per, 2003. "Employment, Mobility, and Active Labor Market Programs," Working Paper Series 2003:5, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Barbara Sianesi, 2002. "Swedish active labour market programmes in the 1990s: overall effectiveness and differential performance," IFS Working Papers W02/03, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.