Corporate Risk Management as a Lever for Shareholder Value Creation
AbstractThis paper presents a comprehensive review of positive theories and their empirical evidence regarding the contibutionof corporate risk management to shareholder value. It is argued that vecause of realistic capital market imperfections, such as agency costs, transaction costs, taxes, and increasing costs of external financing, risk management on the firm level represents a means to increase firm value to the benefit of the shareholders.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern California - School of Business Administration in its series Papers with number 00-58.
Length: 81 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Southern California, School of BusinessAdministration, Los Angeles, CA 90089-1421.
Web page: http://www.marshall.usc.edu/
More information through EDIRC
MANAGEMENT ; RISK ; COSTS ; TAXES;
Other versions of this item:
- Sohnke M. Bartram, 2001. "Corporate Risk Management as a Lever for Shareholder Value Creation," Finance 0108002, EconWPA, revised 10 Aug 2001.
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abuaf, Niso & Jorion, Philippe, 1990. " Purchasing Power Parity in the Long Run," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 157-74, March.
- Alexius, Annika, 1996. "Long Run Real Exchange Rates - A Cointegration Analysis," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 119, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Adler, Michael & Lehmann, Bruce, 1983. " Deviations from Purchasing Power Parity in the Long Run," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1471-87, December.
- Kevin Aretz & Söhnke M. Bartram, 2010.
"Corporate Hedging And Shareholder Value,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 317-371, December.
- Kapitsinas, Spyridon, 2008. "The Impact of Derivatives Usage on Firm Value: Evidence from Greece," MPRA Paper 10947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bartram, Sohnke M. & Dufey, Gunter & Frenkel, Michael R., 2005. "A primer on the exposure of non-financial corporations to foreign exchange rate risk," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 394-413, October.
- Ales S. Berk & Jozko Peterlin & Mitja Cok, 2009. "Corporate Risk Management in Slovenian Firms," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 7(3), pages 281-306.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Bodnar, Gordon, 2005.
"The Exchange Rate Exposure Puzzle,"
6482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Constantin Mellios, 2003. "La gestion des risques financiers par les entreprises : explications théoriques versus études empiriques," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 72(3), pages 243-264.
- Danijela Milos Sprcic, 2013. "Corporate Risk Management And Value Creation," Montenegrin Journal of Economics, Economic Laboratory for Transition Research (ELIT), vol. 9(2), pages 17-26.
- Sohnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2003.
"International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage,"
0307003, EconWPA, revised 24 Jul 2003.
- Söhnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2009. "International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 185-206, 03.
- José Eduardo Gómez González & Carlos Eduardo León Rincón & Karen Julieth Leiton Rodríguez, 2009.
"Does the Use of Foreign Currency Derivatives Affect Colombian Firms´ Market Value?,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
005514, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- José Eduardo Gómez González & Carlos Eduardo Léon Gómez & Karen Juliet Leiton Rodríguez, . "Does the Use of Foreign Currency Derivatives Affect Colombian Firms’ Market Value?," Borradores de Economia 562, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Monda, Barbara & Giorgino, Marco & Modolin, Ileana, 2013. "Rationales for Corporate Risk Management - A Critical Literature Review," MPRA Paper 45420, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Brown, Gregory W. & Conrad, Jennifer, 2006.
"The Effects of Derivatives on Firm Risk and Value,"
9831, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 Jul 2008.
- Söhnke M. Bartram, 2006.
"The use of options in corporate risk management,"
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(2), pages 160-181.
- :Sohnke Bartram & Gregory Brown & Jennifer S. Conrad, 2009. "The Effects of Derivatives on Firm Risk Value," Working Papers wpn09-01, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Constantin Mellios, 2001. "La gestion des risques financiers par les entreprises : explications théoriques versus études théoriques," Working Papers 2001-9, Laboratoire Orléanais de Gestion - université d'Orléans.
- Hong, Gwangheon & Sarkar, Sudipto, 2008. "Commodity betas with mean reverting output prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1286-1296, July.
- Kapitsinas, Spyridon, 2008. "Derivatives Usage in Risk Management by Non-Financial Firms: Evidence from Greece," MPRA Paper 10945, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carretta, Alessandro & Farina, Vincenzo & Fiordelisi, Franco & Schwizer, Paola, 2006. "Corporate culture and shareholder value in banking industry," MPRA Paper 8304, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.