Ira'S And Households Saving
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) on private and national saving. The authors construct a formal model of dynamic utility maximization that generates closed-form equations for IRA and other saving. Their empirical estimates indicate that raising the annual IRA contribution limit between 1983 and 1986 would have resulted in little, if any, increase in national saving. Results from sensitivity analysis imply substantially smaller effects on national saving than most previous researchers have estimated. The authors' results are consistent with new evidence they present indicating considerable potential among IRA holders to shift taxable forms of saving into IRAs. Copyright 1994 by American Economic Association.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics in its series Papers with number 16.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT LOS ANGELES, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, PROGRAM IN APPLIED ECONOMETRICS, LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA 90024 U.S.A.
Phone: (310) 825 1011
Fax: (310) 825 9528
Web page: http://www.econ.ucla.edu/
More information through EDIRC
savings ; economic models ; household;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Menchik, Paul L. & Weisbrod, Burton A., 1987. "Volunteer labor supply," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 159-183, March.
- Venti, Steven F & Wise, David A, 1986. "Tax-Deferred Accounts, Constrained Choice and Estimation of Individual Saving," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 579-601, August.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.