Determinants of smallholder commercialization of food crops: Theory and evidence from Ethiopia
Abstract"In this paper, we develop a theoretical farm household model of food crop production and marketing decisions, derive testable hypotheses concerning the determinants of these decisions, and test these hypotheses, using data on cereal production and marketing collected from a nationally representative survey of 7,186 farm households in Ethiopia. Focusing on production and marketing decisions for teff and maize, the two most important crops in Ethiopia, we find that most producers of these crops are either autarkic or net buyers (especially for maize) and that net buyers and autarkic households are poorer in many respects than net sellers. This implies that interventions to increase cereal productivity will favorably affect distribution for most producers. The econometric analysis shows that increasing production of teff and maize is the most important factor contributing to increased sales, and that increased smallholder access to roads, land, livestock, farm equipment, and traders is key to enabling increased smallholder production and commercialization of these crops." from Authors' Abstract
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 745.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Smallholder production; Small farmers; household consumption; Market access; Commercial behavior; Market participation; Cereal crops;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2008-03-25 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2008-03-25 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-MKT-2008-03-25 (Marketing)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gebremedhin, Berhanu & Tegegne, Azage, 2012. "Market Orientation and Market Participation of Smallholders in Ethiopia: Implications for Commercial Transformation," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 125847, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gebremedhin, Berhanu & Jaleta, Moti, 2010. "Commercialization of Smallholders: Is Market Participation Enough?," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 96159, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.