Commercialization of Smallholders: Is Market Participation Enough?
AbstractThe literature on commercial transformation of smallholders makes little distinction between market orientation (production decision based on market signals) and market participation (sale of output). However, policy implications to enhance commercial transformation of subsistence agriculture drawn from the analysis of the determinants of household market participation alone could be inadequate, if in fact, the determinants of market orientation and market participation are not the same or not consistent with each other. This paper analyzes the determinants of market orientation and market participation in Ethiopia separately and examines if market orientation translates into market participation. Empirical results show that the determinants of market orientation and market participation in crop output markets are not the same, but market orientation translates strongly into market participation. Results imply that while interventions to enhance market orientation could also help in promoting market participation, interventions to promote market participation may not be adequate to promote market orientation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA) in its series 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa with number 96159.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o FORMAT, 5th Floor, Muthaiga Mini Market, Limuru Road, P.O. Box 79 - 00621 Village Market, Nairobi, Kenya
Phone: 254 20 6752866
Web page: http://www.aaae-africa.org
More information through EDIRC
commercialization; smallholders; market orientation; market participation; Marketing; C21; C24; Q12; Q13;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Peter Timmer, 1997. "Farmers and Markets: The Political Economy of New Paradigms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 621-627.
- Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z., 2001. "Market institutions, transaction costs, and social capital in the Ethiopian grain market:," Research reports 124, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Romer, Paul, 1993. "Idea gaps and object gaps in economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 543-573, December.
- Marc F. Bellemare & Christopher B. Barrett, 2006.
"An Ordered Tobit Model of Market Participation: Evidence from Kenya and Ethiopia,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 324-337.
- Bellemare, Marc F. & Barrett, Christopher B., 2005. "An Ordered Tobit Model of Market Participation: Evidence from Kenya and Ethiopia," Working Papers 14748, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Nigel Key & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Alain De Janvry, 2000. "Transactions Costs and Agricultural Household Supply Response," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 245-259.
- Prabhu L. Pingali, 1997. "From Subsistence to Commercial Production Systems: The Transformation of Asian Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 628-634.
- Pender, John & Alemu, Dawit, 2007. "Determinants of smallholder commercialization of food crops: Theory and evidence from Ethiopia," IFPRI discussion papers 745, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alene, Arega D. & Manyong, V.M. & Omanya, G. & Mignouna, H.D. & Bokanga, M. & Odhiambo, G., 2008. "Smallholder market participation under transactions costs: Maize supply and fertilizer demand in Kenya," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 318-328, August.
- Paul M. Romer, 1993.
"New Goods, Old Theory, and the Welfare Costs of Trade Restrictions,"
NBER Working Papers
4452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romer, Paul, 1994. "New goods, old theory, and the welfare costs of trade restrictions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 5-38, February.
- Rios, Ana R. & Masters, William A. & Shively, Gerald E., 2008. "Linkages between Market Participation and Productivity: Results from a Multi-Country Farm Household Sample," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6145, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Blarel, Benoit, et al, 1992. "The Economics of Farm Fragmentation: Evidence from Ghana and Rwanda," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 233-54, May.
- Lapar, M. L. & Holloway, G. & Ehui, S., 2003. "Policy options promoting market participation among smallholder livestock producers: a case study from the Phillipines," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 187-211, June.
- Pingali, Prabhu L., 2001. "Environmental consequences of agricultural commercialization in Asia," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(04), pages 483-502, October.
- Wu, Ziping & Liu, Minquan & Davis, John, 2005. "Land consolidation and productivity in Chinese household crop production," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 28-49.
- Berhanu Gebremedhin & Moti Jaleta & Dirk Hoekstra, 2009. "Smallholders, institutional services, and commercial transformation in Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(s1), pages 773-787, November.
- Pingali, Prabhu L. & Rosegrant, Mark W., 1995. "Agricultural commercialization and diversification: processes and policies," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 171-185, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.