Geographic space, assets, livelihoods and well-being in rural Central America
Abstract"This paper uses an asset-base framework to analyze the determinants of rural growth and sustainable poverty reduction for the three poorest countries in Central America: Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua...Using a combination of GIS mapping techniques, quantitative household analysis, and qualitative analyses of assets and livelihoods, the authors generate a description of rural territories that recognizes the differential effects of policies and asset bundles across space and households. They identify the combinations of human, natural and physical, social and location-specific assets that matter most to raise household well-being and take advantage of prospects for poverty-reducing growth." from Authors' Abstract
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series DSGD discussion papers with number 26.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Poverty reduction ; rural livelihoods ; Households Economic aspects ;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2006-03-25 (Development)
- NEP-LAM-2006-03-25 (Central & South America)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Zezza & Luis Llambi, 2001.
"Meso-Economic Filters Along the Policy Chain: Understanding the links between policy reforms and rural poverty in Latin America,"
02-08, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Zezza, Alberto & Llambi, Luis, 2002. "Meso-Economic Filters Along the Policy Chain: Understanding the Links Between Policy Reforms and Rural Poverty in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1865-1884, November.
- Moser, Caroline O. N., 1998. "The asset vulnerability framework: Reassessing urban poverty reduction strategies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Siegel, Paul B., 2005. "Using an asset-based approach to identify drivers of sustainable rural growth and poverty reduction in Central America : a conceptual framework," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3475, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2004. "Poverty in Guatemala," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15066, October.
- de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2000. "Rural poverty in Latin America: Determinants and exit paths," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 389-409, August.
- Jansen, Hans G.P. & Siegel, Paul B. & Pichón, Francisco, 2005. "Identifying the drivers of sustainable rural growth and poverty reduction in Honduras," DSGD discussion papers 19, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Corral, Leonardo & Reardon, Thomas, 2001. "Rural Nonfarm Incomes in Nicaragua," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 427-442, March.
- Bigman, David & Fofack, Hippolyte, 2000. "Geographical Targeting for Poverty Alleviation: An Introduction to the Special Issue," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 129-45, January.
- Akter, Shaheen & Farrington, John, 2008.
"Poverty transition through targeted programme: the case of Bangladesh Poultry Model,"
82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK
36765, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Akter, Shaheen & Farrington, John, 2008. "Poverty transition through targeted programme: the case of Bangladesh Poultry Model," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 42306, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Akter, Shaheen & Farrington, John, 2009. "What makes exit from poverty: Investigation of smallholder women livestock farmers in Bangladesh," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51165, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- You, Liangzhi & Diao, Xinshen, 2006. "Assessing potential impact of avian influenza on poultry in West Africa: a spatial equilibrium model analysis," DSGD discussion papers 40, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Badiane, Ousmane, 2006. "Agricultural trade liberalization under Doha: the risks facing African countries," DSGD discussion papers 39, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.