Fourier estimation of stochastic leverage using high frequency data
AbstractIn this paper, we define a new estimator of the leverage stochastic process based only on a pre-estimation of the Fourier coefficients of the volatility process. This feature constitutes a novelty in comparison with the leverage estimators proposed in the literature generally based on a pre-estimation of the spot volatility. Our estimator is proved to be consistent and in virtue of its definition it can be directly applied to estimate the leverage effect in case of irregular trading observations of the price path and microstructure noise contaminations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa in its series Working Papers - Mathematical Economics with number 2013-04.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2013
Date of revision:
leverage; non-parametric estimation; semi-martingale; Fourier transform; high frequency data.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-06-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-06-16 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MST-2013-06-16 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jun Yu, 2004.
"On Leverage in a Stochastic Volatility Model,"
13-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Jun Yu, 2004. "On leverage in a stochastic volatility model," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings, Econometric Society 497, Econometric Society.
- Jun Yu, 2004. "On Leverage in a Stochastic Volatility Model," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings, Econometric Society 506, Econometric Society.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2000.
"Econometric analysis of realised volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models,"
2001-W4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 05 Jul 2001.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Shephard, 2002. "Econometric analysis of realized volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(2), pages 253-280.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2004.
"Stochastic Skew in Currency Options,"
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995.
Papers, Toulouse - GREMAQ
95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques 9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CORE Discussion Papers, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) 1995069, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ 9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Éric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- Mancino, M.E. & Sanfelici, S., 2008. "Robustness of Fourier estimator of integrated volatility in the presence of microstructure noise," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 2966-2989, February.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
- Maria Elvira Mancino & Simona Sanfelici, 2011.
"Estimation of Quarticity with High Frequency Data,"
Working Papers - Mathematical Economics, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa
2011-06, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa, revised Jan 2012.
- Emilio Barucci & Maria Elvira Mancino, 2010. "Computation Of Volatility In Stochastic Volatility Models With High Frequency Data," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(05), pages 767-787.
- Maria Elvira Mancino & Paul Malliavin, 2002. "Fourier series method for measurement of multivariate volatilities," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 49-61.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michele Gori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.