Stochastic dominance for law invariant preferences: The happy story of elliptical distributions
AbstractWe study the connections between stochastic dominance and law invariant preferences. Whenever the functional that represents preferences depends only on the law of the random variable, we shall look for conditions that imply a ranking of distributions. In analogy with the Expected Utility paradigm, we prove that functional dominance leads to first order stochastic dominance. We analyze in details the case of Dual Theory of Choice and Cumulative Prospect Theory, including all its distinctive features such as S-shaped value function, reversed S-shaped probability distortions and loss aversion. These cases can be seen as special examples of a more general scheme. We find necessary and sufficient conditions that imply preferences to depend only on the mean and variance of the lottery. Our main result is a characterization of such distributions that imply Mean-Variance preferences, namely the elliptical ones. In particular, we prove that under mild assumptions over the reference wealth, the prospect value of a portfolio depends only on its mean and variance if and only if the random assets' return are elliptically distributed. The analysis is of particular relevance for optimal portfolio choice, mutual fund separation and Capital Asset Pricing equilibria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa in its series Working Papers - Mathematical Economics with number 2012-08.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Stochastic dominance; Cumulative Prospect Theory; Elliptical distributions; Mean-Variance analysis.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D03 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Behavioral Microeconomics; Underlying Principles
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-ORE-2012-11-03 (Operations Research)
- NEP-UPT-2012-11-03 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlier Guillaume & Dana Rose-Anne, 2006. "Law invariant concave utility functions and optimization problems with monotonicity and comonotonicity constraints," Statistics & Risk Modeling, De Gruyter, vol. 24(1/2006), pages 26, July.
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Carlier, Guillaume, 2006. "Law invariant concave utility functions and optimization problems with monotonicity and comonotonicity constraints," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5392, Paris Dauphine University.
- Fortin, Ines & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2011.
"Optimal asset allocation under linear loss aversion,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2974-2990, November.
- Fortin, Ines & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2010. "Optimal Asset Allocation Under Linear Loss Aversion," Economics Series 257, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Galichon, Alfred & Henry, Marc, 2012. "Dual theory of choice with multivariate risks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(4), pages 1501-1516.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Bernard, Carole & Ghossoub, Mario, 2009. "Static Portfolio Choice under Cumulative Prospect Theory," MPRA Paper 15446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levy, Haim & Wiener, Zvi, 1998. "Stochastic Dominance and Prospect Dominance with Subjective Weighting Functions," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 147-63, May-June.
- Baucells Alibés Manel & Heukamp Franz H., 2007.
"Stochastic Dominance and Cumulative Prospect Theory,"
201061, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Manel Baucells & Franz H. Heukamp, 2006. "Stochastic Dominance and Cumulative Prospect Theory," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(9), pages 1409-1423, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michele Gori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.