Static Portfolio Choice under Cumulative Prospect Theory
AbstractWe derive the optimal portfolio choice for an investor who behaves according to Cumulative Prospect Theory. The study is done in a one-period economy with one risk-free asset and one risky asset, and the reference point corresponds to the terminal wealth arising when the entire initial wealth is invested into the risk-free asset. When it exists, the optimal holding is a function of a generalized Omega measure of the distribution of the excess return on the risky asset over the risk-free rate. It conceptually resembles Merton’s optimal holding for a CRRA expected-utility maximizer. We derive some properties of the optimal holding and illustrate our results using a simple example where the excess return has a skew-normal distribution. In particular, we show how a Cumulative Prospect Theory investor is highly sensitive to the skewness of the excess return on the risky asset. In the model we adopt, with a piecewise-power value function with diﬀerent shape parameters, loss aversion might be violated for reasons that are now well-understood in the literature. Nevertheless, we argue, on purely behavioral grounds, that this violation is acceptable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15446.
Date of creation: 29 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Cumulative Prospect Theory; Portfolio Choice; Behavioral Finance; Omega Measure.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- De Giorgi, Enrico & Hens, Thorsten, 2005.
"Making Prospect Theory Fit for Finance,"
2005/19, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Enrico De Giorgi, .
"Reward-Risk Portfolio Selection and Stochastic Dominance,"
IEW - Working Papers
121, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- De Giorgi, Enrico, 2005. "Reward-risk portfolio selection and stochastic dominance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 895-926, April.
- Ulrich Schmidt & Horst Zank, 2007.
"Linear cumulative prospect theory with applications to portfolio selection and insurance demand,"
Decisions in Economics and Finance,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 1-18, 05.
- U Schmidt & H Zank, 2002. "Linear Cumulative Prospect Theory with Applications to Portfolio Selection and Insurance Demand," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0208, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- De Giorgi, Enrico & Hens, Thorsten & Rieger, Marc Oliver, 2010.
"Financial market equilibria with cumulative prospect theory,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 633-651, September.
- Enrico De Giorgi & Thorsten Hens & Marc Oliver Rieger, 2007. "Financial Market Equilibria With Cumulative Prospect Therory," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 07-21, Swiss Finance Institute, revised Aug 2007.
- Chris Starmer, 2000. "Developments in Non-expected Utility Theory: The Hunt for a Descriptive Theory of Choice under Risk," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(2), pages 332-382, June.
- Ulrich Schmidt & Horst Zank, 2005.
"What is Loss Aversion?,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 157-167, January.
- Manel Baucells & Franz H. Heukamp, 2006.
"Stochastic Dominance and Cumulative Prospect Theory,"
INFORMS, vol. 52(9), pages 1409-1423, September.
- Baucells Alibés Manel & Heukamp Franz H., 2007. "Stochastic Dominance and Cumulative Prospect Theory," Working Papers 201061, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Handa, Jagdish, 1977. "Risk, Probabilities, and a New Theory of Cardinal Utility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(1), pages 97-122, February.
- Robert Jarrow & Feng Zhao, 2006. "Downside Loss Aversion and Portfolio Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(4), pages 558-566, April.
- Francisco J. Gomes, 2005. "Portfolio Choice and Trading Volume with Loss-Averse Investors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 675-706, March.
- Arjan B. Berkelaar & Roy Kouwenberg & Thierry Post, 2004.
"Optimal Portfolio Choice under Loss Aversion,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 973-987, November.
- Neilson, William S, 2002. " Comparative Risk Sensitivity with Reference-Dependent Preferences," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 131-42, March.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Shlomo Benartzi & Richard H. Thaler, 1993.
"Myopic Loss Aversion and the Equity Premium Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
4369, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benartzi, Shlomo & Thaler, Richard H, 1995. "Myopic Loss Aversion and the Equity Premium Puzzle," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(1), pages 73-92, February.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Kobberling, Veronika & Wakker, Peter P., 2005. "An index of loss aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 119-131, May.
- David Schmeidler, 1989.
"Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7662, David K. Levine.
- Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-87, May.
- Wakker, Peter & Tversky, Amos, 1993. " An Axiomatization of Cumulative Prospect Theory," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 147-75, October.
- Matteo Del Vigna, 2012. "Stochastic dominance for law invariant preferences: The happy story of elliptical distributions," DiMaD Working Papers 2012-08, Dipartimento di Matematica per le Decisioni, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze.
- Laurence Carassus & Miklos Rasonyi, 2013. "Maximization of Non-Concave Utility Functions in Discrete-Time Financial Market Models," Papers 1302.0134, arXiv.org.
- Miklos Rasonyi & Andrea M. Rodrigues, 2012. "Optimal Portfolio Choice for a Behavioural Investor in Continuous-Time Markets," Papers 1202.0628, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2013.
- Jaroslava Hlouskova & Panagiotis Tsigaris, 2012.
"Capital income taxation and risk taking under prospect theory,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 554-573, August.
- Hlouskova, Jaroslava & Tsigaris, Panagiotis, 2012. "Capital Income Taxation and Risk Taking under Prospect Theory," Economics Series 283, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Godfrey Charles-Cadogan, 2012. "Representation Theory for Risk On Markowitz-Tversky-Kahneman Topology," Papers 1206.2665, arXiv.org.
- Ghossoub, Mario, 2011. "Towards a Purely Behavioral Definition of Loss Aversion," MPRA Paper 37628, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Mar 2012.
- Amit Kothiyal & Vitalie Spinu & Peter Wakker, 2011. "Prospect theory for continuous distributions: A preference foundation," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 195-210, June.
- Matteo Del Vigna, 2011. "Financial market equilibria with heterogeneous agents: CAPM and market segmentation," DiMaD Working Papers 2011-08, Dipartimento di Matematica per le Decisioni, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze.
- Carole Bernard & Jit Seng Chen & Steven Vanduffel, 2013. "All investors are risk averse expected utility maximizers," Papers 1302.4679, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2013.
- Matteo Del Vigna, 2011. "Market equilibrium with heterogeneous behavioural and classical investors' preferences," DiMaD Working Papers 2011-09, Dipartimento di Matematica per le Decisioni, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze.
- Laurence Carassus & Miklos Rasonyi, 2011. "On optimal investment for a behavioural investor in multiperiod incomplete market models," Papers 1107.1617, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.