A quantitative study of the role of wealth inequality on asset prices
AbstractThis paper studies the equilibrium properties of asset prices in a Lucas-tree model when agents display a concave coefficient of absolute risk tolerance. The latter introduces a role for wealth inequality, even under the presence of complete markets. The paper finds evidence suggesting that the role of wealth inequality on asset prices may be non-negligible. For the baseline calibration, the equity premium in the unequal economy is half a percentage point larger than the equity premium displayed by an egalitarian economy. The difference increases to one percentage point once we allow for the fact that agents tend to hold highly concentrated portfolios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in its series Working Paper with number 05-12.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2006-01-02 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-FIN-2006-01-01 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mankiw, N.G. & Zeldes, S.P., 1990.
"The Consumption Of Stockholders And Non-Stockholders,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
23-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Zeldes, Stephen P., 1991. "The consumption of stockholders and nonstockholders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 97-112, March.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Stephen P. Zeldes, 1991. "The Consumption of Stockholders and Non-Stockholders," NBER Working Papers 3402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heaton, John & Lucas, Deborah J, 1996.
"Evaluating the Effects of Incomplete Markets on Risk Sharing and Asset Pricing,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 443-87, June.
- John Heaton & Deborah Lucas, 1993. "Evaluating the Effects of Incomplete Markets on Risk Sharing and Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 4249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., .
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity, Portfolio Choice, and Equilibrium Asset Returns,"
GSIA Working Papers
1997-45, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Krusell, Per & Smith, Anthony A., 1997. "Income And Wealth Heterogeneity, Portfolio Choice, And Equilibrium Asset Returns," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 387-422, June.
- Barberis, Nicholas & Thaler, Richard, 2003.
"A survey of behavioral finance,"
Handbook of the Economics of Finance,
in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 18, pages 1053-1128
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:1:y:1997:i:2:p:387-422 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ivković, Zoran & Sialm, Clemens & Weisbenner, Scott, 2008.
"Portfolio Concentration and the Performance of Individual Investors,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(03), pages 613-655, September.
- Zoran Ivkovich & Clemens Sialm & Scott Weisbenner, 2004. "Portfolio Concentration and the Performance of Individual Investors," NBER Working Papers 10675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gollier, C., 1997.
"Wealth Inequality and Asset Pricing,"
97.486, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010.
"The equity premium: a puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1401, David K. Levine.
- Vincenzo Quadrini, 2000.
"Entrepreneurship, Saving and Social Mobility,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(1), pages 1-40, January.
- Vincenzo Quadrini, 1997. "Entrepreneurship, saving and social mobility," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 116, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- John Y. Campbell, 2002.
"Consumption-Based Asset Pricing,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1974, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Walentin, Karl, 2007.
"Earnings Inequality and the Equity Premium,"
Working Paper Series
215, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William Perkins).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.