Input inefficiency in commercial banks: a normalized quadratic input distance approach
AbstractA normalized quadratic input distance function is proposed with which to estimate technical efficiency on commercial banks regulated by the Federal Reserve System. The study period covers 1990 to 2000 using individual bank information from the Call and Banking Holding Company Database. A stochastic frontier model is specified to estimate the input normalized distance function and obtain measures of technical efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 2003-036.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Marsh, Thomas L. & Featherstone, Allen M. & Garrett, Thomas A., 2003. "Input Inefficiency in Commercial Banks: A Normalized Quadratic Input Distance Approach," Proceedings: 2003 Regional Committee NCT-194, October 6-7, 2003; Kansas City, Missouri 132520, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- NEP-ALL-2004-01-18 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Moss, Charles B., 1993. "Measuring Economies of Scale and Scope in Agricultural Banking," Proceedings: 1993 Regional Committee NC-207, October 4-5, 1993, Chicago, Illinois 131339, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1996.
"Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 409-431, August.
- Siddhartha Chib & Edward Greenberg, 1994. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics," Econometrics 9408001, EconWPA, revised 24 Oct 1994.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Primont, Daniel, 2002. "Stochastic estimation of firm technology, inefficiency, and productivity growth using shadow cost and distance functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 203-225, June.
- Diewert, W. E. & Wales, T. J., 1988. "A normalized quadratic semiflexible functional form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 327-342, March.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1999.
"What explains the dramatic changes in cost and profit performance of the U.S. banking industry?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1999-13, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1999. "What Explains the Dramatic Changes in Cost and Profit Performance of the U.S. Banking Industry?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 99-10, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1999. "What explains the dramatic changes in cost and profit performance of the U.S. banking industry?," Working Papers 99-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hancock, Diana & Humphrey, David B., 1993. "Bank efficiency derived from the profit function," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 317-347, April.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kaparakis, Emmanuel I & Miller, Stephen M & Noulas, Athanasios G, 1994. "Short-Run Cost Inefficiency of Commercial Banks: A Flexible Stochastic Frontier Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 875-93, November.
- Geweke, John, 1986. "Exact Inference in the Inequality Constrained Normal Linear Regression Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 127-41, April.
- English, M. & Grosskopf, S. & Hayes, K. & Yaisawarng, S., 1993. "Output allocative and technical efficiency of banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 349-366, April.
- Bernhard Br�mmer & Thomas Glauben & Geert Thijssen, 2002. "Decomposition of Productivity Growth Using Distance Functions: The Case of Dairy Farms in Three European Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 628-644.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Richard C. Bishop & Matthew T. Holt, 2002. "A semiflexible normalized quadratic inverse demand system: an application to the price formation of fish," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 23-47.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:3:p:409-31 is not listed on IDEAS
- Greene, William H., 1980. "Maximum likelihood estimation of econometric frontier functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-56, May.
- Yamori, Nobuyoshi & Harimaya, Kozo, 2010. "Efficiency in the Japanese trust banking industry: A stochastic distance function approach," MPRA Paper 21381, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Acharya, Ram N. & Kagan, Albert, 2008.
"Spatial competition and market power in banking,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 436-454.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Acharya, Ram N. & Kagan, Albert, 2007. "Spatial Competition and Market Power in Banking," 2007 1st Forum, February 15-17, 2007, Innsbruck, Austria 6566, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Tecles, Patricia Langsch & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2010.
"Determinants of bank efficiency: The case of Brazil,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1587-1598, December.
- Patricia Tecles & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2010. "Determinants of Bank Efficiency: the case of Brazil," Working Papers Series 210, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Dan Wang, 2007. "Economic reforms, efficiency and productivity in Chinese banking," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 105-129, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.