Discount rate changes and the foreign exchange market
AbstractChanges in the discount rate can have an associated announcement effect on the foreign exchange value of the dollar only if these changes are not anticipated by the market. This paper provides evidence to support this contention. Specifically, discount rate changes made for reasons other than technical adjustments have not been anticipated fully and consequently, their announcement has had a significant impact on the dollar's exchange rate. Furthermore, results are obtained that support the hypothesis that unanticipated discount rate changes alter the expectation of the rate of future inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 1983-016.
Date of creation: 1983
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of International Money and Finance, December 1984, 3(3), pp. 279-92
Other versions of this item:
- Batten, Dallas S. & Thornton, Daniel L., 1984. "Discount rate changes and the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 279-292, December.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Takatoshi Ito & V. Vance Roley, 1986.
"News from the U.S. and Japan: which moves the yen/dollar exchange rate?,"
Research Working Paper
86-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Ito, Takatoshi & Roley, V. Vance, 1987. "News from the U.S. and Japan : Which moves the yen/dollar exchange rate?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 255-277, March.
- Takatoshi Ito & V. Vance Roley, 1987. "News from the U. S. and Japan: Which Moves the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate?," NBER Working Papers 1853, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antulio N. Bomfim & Vincent R. Reinhart, 2000. "Making news: financial market effects of Federal Reserve disclosure practices," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mahajan, Arvind & Wagner, Andrew J., 1999. "Nonlinear dynamics in foreign exchange rates," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 1998.
"Lifting the veil of secrecy from monetary policy: evidence from the Fed's early discount rate policy,"
1998-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Thornton, Daniel L, 2000. "Lifting the Veil of Secrecy from Monetary Policy: Evidence from the Fed's Early Discount Rate Policy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(2), pages 155-67, May.
- Thornton, Daniel L., 2000.
"The relationship between the federal funds rate and the Fed's federal funds rate target: is it open market or open mouth operations?,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2000,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 2000. "The relationship between the federal funds rate and the Fed's federal funds rate target: is it open market or open mouth operations?," Working Papers 1999-022, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Thornton, Daniel L., 2004. "The Fed and short-term rates: Is it open market operations, open mouth operations or interest rate smoothing?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 475-498, March.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 1996. "Discount rate policies of five Federal Reserve Chairmen," Working Papers 1996-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Rai, Anoop & Seth, Rama & Mohanty, Sunil K., 2007. "The impact of discount rate changes on market interest rates: Evidence from three European countries and Japan," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 905-923, October.
- Marc Simpson & Sanjay Ramchander & James Webb, 2007. "The Asymmetric Response of Equity REIT Returns to Inflation," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 513-529, May.
- Michael W. Klein & Eric S. Rosengren, 1991. "Foreign exchange intervention as a signal of monetary policy," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 39-50.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xiao Xiaohong) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Xiao Xiaohong to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.