On the reliability of retrospective unemployment information in European household panel data
AbstractThe retrospectively recalled calendar of activities in the European Community Household Panel is a prime resource for cross country analysis of unemployment experience. We investigate the reliability of these data and find that 26% of unemployed respondents misreported retrospectively their unemployment status in the subsequent interview. We observe large differences across countries: While the conditional probability of a successful recall is 96% in the UK, it is just 51% in Greece for a comparable individual. These evident data problems likely affect the results of cross country comparisons.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Working Papers with number 21.
Date of creation: 31 Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2011-03-05 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-LAB-2011-03-05 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Le Barbanchon, Thomas & Sopraseuth, Thepthida, 2012.
"The Cyclicality of the Separation and Job Finding Rates in France,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6906, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & Thomas Le Barbanchon & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2012. "The Cyclicality of the Separation and Job Finding Rates in France," Working Papers 2012-22, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & Thomas Le Barbanchon & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2013. "The cyclicality of the separation and job finding rates in France," THEMA Working Papers 2013-07, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Essi Eerola & Teemu Lyytikäinen, 2012. "On the role of public price information in housing markets," Working Papers 30, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.