Price-Cost Margins and Economic Integration: How Important is the Pro-Competitive Effect?
AbstractIn this paper we examine whether the conventional result of a greater degree of integration leading to lower price-cost margins (i.e., the pro-competitive effect), would hold when two countries integrate by forming a common market. We propose a general framework of reference, in order to assess the extent of the pro-competitive effect when the role of other variables is allowed for, both for a âsmallâ and âlargeâ common market. By solving the model, the price-cost margin of domestic firms would depend on a set of variables in addition to trade costs with the partner country, which might eventually offset the conventional result.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers on International Economics and Finance with number 04-02.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
Other versions of this item:
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, 2004. "Price-cost margins and economic integration: How important is the pro-competitive effect?," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/62, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, 2004. "Price-Cost Margins and Economic Integration: How Important is the Pro-Competitive Effect?," Working Papers 04-02, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Regional economic integration," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1597-1644 Elsevier.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 1991.
"Market Integration, Competition, and Welfare,"
499, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- Bottasso, Anna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2001. "Market power, productivity and the EU Single Market Program: Evidence from a panel of Italian firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 167-186, January.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Oscar Bajo Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, .
"A General Framework for the Macroeconomic Analysis of Monetary Unions,"
Working Papers on International Economics and Finance
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, 2001. "A General Framework For The Macroeconomic Analysis Of Monetary Unions," Working Papers 01-06, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Óscar Bajo Rubio & Carmen Díaz Roldán, 2001. "A General Framework For The Macroeconomic Analysis Of Monetary Unions," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0101, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Harry Flam, 1992. "Product Markets and 1992: Full Integration, Large Gains?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 7-30, Fall.
- Chris Allen & Michael Gasiorek & Alasdair Smith, 1998. "The competition effects of the Single Market in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 13(27), pages 439-486, October.
- Antonio G. Gómez-Plana & Oscar Bajo-Rubio, . "Algunos efectos del mercado único europeo sobre la economía española: Un análisis a través de un modelo de equilibrio general aplicado," Studies on the Spanish Economy 213, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.