Integration and Growth in the EU. The Role of Trade
AbstractUsing spatial econometrics techniques this paper investigates the relationship between trade and growth in the European Union (EU). We find that the EU integration process has promoted trade, especially between close neighbours, and that trade has been the channel of diffusion of interdependent growth, being this fact more important at the beginning of the integrating process than in the latter years. This result illustrates the idea that by enhancing trade, economic integration induces externalities between countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2000-20.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2001-02-08 (Development)
- NEP-EEC-2004-07-18 (European Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & David Romer, 1996. "Trade and Growth: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 5476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grinols, Earl L., 1984. "A thorn in the lion's paw: Has britain paid too much for Common Market membership?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 271-293, May.
- Ana Goicolea & JosÃ© A. Herce & Juan J. De Lucio, . "Regional integration and growth: The Spanish case," Working Papers 98-14, FEDEA.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993.
"International R&D Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coe, D.T. & Helpman, E., 1993. "International R&D Spillovers," Papers 5-93, Tel Aviv.
- Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe, 1993. "International R&D Spillovers," IMF Working Papers 93/84, International Monetary Fund.
- David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman, 1995. "International R&D Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 4444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miller, Marcus H & Spencer, John E, 1977. "The Static Economic Effects of the UK Joining the EEC: A General Equilibrium Approach," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 71-93, February.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1992. "Models of Economic Integration and Localized Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 651, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, . "La política macroeconómica en economías interdependientes," Working Papers 2001-03, FEDEA.
- María García-Vega & José A. Herce, . "Interdependent Growth in the EU: The Role of Trade," Working Papers 2002-08, FEDEA.
- Simóm Sosvilla-Rivero & Reyes Maroto, . "Regimen duration in the EMR," Working Papers 2001-05, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.