International Trade and Financial Integration: a Weighted Network Analysis
AbstractIn this paper we compare the patterns of trade and financial integration by exploit- ing network analysis. Our results show that, by combining binary and weighted network analysis, it is possible to deliver more precise and thorough insights on the topological structure and properties of the international trade and financial net- works (ITN and IFN). We find that the ITN is more densely connected than the IFN and that the degree of international financial integration varies with asset type. Our results also indicate that richer countries are better linked and form groups of tightly interconnected nodes. This can be seen as a sign of the persistent relevance of local relations. Yet, the growing importance of global links is testified by the disassortative feature of both the ITN and the IFN: poorly connected nodes tend to connect to central ones and use them as hubs to access the rest of the network.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE) in its series Documents de Travail de l'OFCE with number 2007-11.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Stefano Schiavo & Javier Reyes & Giorgio Fagiolo, 2010. "International trade and financial integration: a weighted network analysis," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 389-399.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "International Trade and Financial Integration: A Weighted Network Analysis," LEM Papers Series 2007/16, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "International Trade and Financial Integration : a Weighted Network Analysis," Sciences Po publications 2007-11, Sciences Po.
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2006:i:34:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- R Portes & H Rey, 2000.
"The Determinants Of Cross-Border Equity Flows,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0446, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 2225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 2001. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," DELTA Working Papers 2001-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," NBER Working Papers 7336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 2000. "The determinants of cross-border equity flows," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20203, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- D. Garlaschelli & M. I. Loffredo, 2005. "Structure and Evolution of the World Trade Network," Papers physics/0502066, arXiv.org, revised May 2005.
- Lawrence Goldberg & James Lothian & John Okunev, 2003.
"Has International Financial Integration Increased?,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 299-317, July.
- Lawrence G. Goldberg & James R. Lothian & John Okunev, 1997. "Has International Financial Integration Increased?," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-040, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Lawrence G. Goldberg & James R. Lothian & John Okunev, 2003. "Has International Financial Integration Increased?," International Finance 0311004, EconWPA.
- Li, Xiang & Ying Jin, Yu & Chen, Guanrong, 2003. "Complexity and synchronization of the World trade Web," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 328(1), pages 287-296.
- Garlaschelli, Diego & Loffredo, Maria I., 2005. "Structure and evolution of the world trade network," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 355(1), pages 138-144.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2003. "Emerging markets finance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 3-56, February.
- Raja Kali & Javier Reyes, 2007. "The architecture of globalization: a network approach to international economic integration," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 595-620, July.
- D. Garlaschelli & M. I. Loffredo, 2004. "Fitness-dependent topological properties of the World Trade Web," Papers cond-mat/0403051, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2004.
- Raja Kali & Javier Reyes, 2010. "Financial Contagion On The International Trade Network," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(4), pages 1072-1101, October.
- Luca De Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2011.
"The World Trade Network,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(8), pages 1417-1454, 08.
- Matteo Chinazzi & Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier A. Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2012.
"Post-Mortem Examination of the International Financial Network,"
LEM Papers Series
2012/04, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Chinazzi, Matteo & Fagiolo, Giorgio & Reyes, Javier A. & Schiavo, Stefano, 2013. "Post-mortem examination of the international financial network," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1692-1713.
- Matteo Chinazzi & Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier A. Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2012. "Post-Mortem Examination of the International Financial Network," Department of Economics Working Papers 1202, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Pérez García Francisco & Tortosa-Ausina Emili & Arribas Fernández Iván, 2009.
"The Determinants of International Financial Integration Revisited: The Role of Networks and Geographic Neutrality,"
201049, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Arribas Ivan & Perez Francisco & Tortosa-Ausina Emili, 2010. "The Determinants of International Financial Integration Revisited: The Role of Networks and Geographic Neutrality," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 15(1), pages 1-55, December.
- Arribas, Iván & Pérez, Francisco & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2009. "The determinants of international financial integration revisited: the role of networks and geographic neutrality," MPRA Paper 18717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Julián Caballero, 2012.
"Banking Crises and Financial Integration,"
78599, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Shamnaaz B. Sufrauj, 2012. "The implications of the elimination of the multi-fibre arrangement for small remote island economies: A network analysis," Department of Economics Working Papers 1201, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Garratt, Rodney & Mahadeva, Lavan & Svirydzenka, Katsiaryna, 2011. "The contagious capacity of the international banking network: 1985-2009," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt0r89f16p, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Jos Jansen & Ad Stokman, 2011. "International Business Cycle Comovement: Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," DNB Working Papers 319, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Samuel MAVEYRAUD, 2013. "La structure du réseau de commerce international en 1850," Cahiers du GREThA 2013-22, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Garratt, Rodney & Mahadeva, Lavan & Svirydzenka, Katsiaryna, 2011. "Mapping systemic risk in the international banking network," Bank of England working papers 413, Bank of England.
- Mario Maggioni & Teodora Uberti, 2011. "Networks and geography in the economics of knowledge flows," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(5), pages 1031-1051, August.
- Chen, Shu-heng & Chang, Chia-ling, 2012. "Interactions in the New Keynesian DSGE models: The Boltzmann-Gibbs machine and social networks approach," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(26), pages 1-32.
- Massimo Riccaboni & Stefano Schiavo, 2013.
"Stochastic Trade Networks,"
1/2013, IMT Institute for Advanced Studies Lucca, revised Jan 2013.
- Jiang, Zhi-Qiang & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2010. "Complex stock trading network among investors," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4929-4941.
- Chang, Chia-ling & Chen, Shu-heng, 2011. "Interactions in DSGE models: The Boltzmann-Gibbs machine and social networks approach," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-25, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.