A two-part fractional regression model for the financial leverage decisions of micro, small, medium and large firms
AbstractIn this paper we examine the following two hypotheses which traditional theories of capital structure are relatively silent about: (i) the determinants of financial leverage decisions are different for micro, small, medium and large firms; and (ii) the factors that determine whether or not a firm issues debt are different from those that determine how much debt it issues. Using a binary choice model to explain the probability of a firm raising debt and a fractional regression model to explain the relative amount of debt issued, we find strong support for both hypotheses. Confirming recent empirical evidence, we find also that, although larger firms are more likely to use debt, conditional on having some debt firm size is negatively related to the proportion of debt used by firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Évora, Department of Economics (Portugal) in its series Economics Working Papers with number 9_2006.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
capital structure; financial leverage; zero leverage; micro firms; SMEs; fractional data; two-part model;
Other versions of this item:
- Joaquim J.S. Ramalho & Jacinto Vidigal da Silva, 2009. "A two-part fractional regression model for the financial leverage decisions of micro, small, medium and large firms," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 621-636.
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2006-07-02 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-ENT-2006-07-02 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-FIN-2006-07-02 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2006-07-02 (Financial Markets)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ana Cardoso & Elsa Fontainha & Chiara Monfardini, 2010. "Children’s and parents’ time use: empirical evidence on investment in human capital in France, Germany and Italy," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 479-504, December.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2010.
"Firm growth, European industry dynamics and domestic business cycles,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Harald Oberhofer, 2012. "Firm Growth, European Industry Dynamics and Domestic Business Cycles," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(3), pages 316-337, 07.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2010. "Firm Growth, European Industry Dynamics and Domestic Business Cycles," WIFO Working Papers 377, WIFO.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2009. "Firm growth, European industry dynamics and domestic business cycles," Working Papers 2009-18, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho & José M.R. Murteira, 2013. "A generalized goodness-of-functional form test for binary and fractional regression models," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_09, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Elmas Yaldiz Hanedar & Eleonora Broccardo & Flavio Bazzana, 2012. "Collateral Requirements of SMEs:The Evidence from Less–Developed Countries," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 12111, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Facoltà di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2012.
"Fractional Response Models - A Replication Exercise of Papke and Wooldridge (1996),"
University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 6(3), September.
- Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, . "Fractional Response Models - A Replication Exercise of Papke and Wooldridge (1996)," Working Papers 2009-02, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Joaquim Ramalho & Jacinto Vidigal da Silva, 2011.
"Functional form issues in the regression analysis of financial leverage ratios,"
CEFAGE-UE Working Papers
2011_28, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Joaquim Ramalho & J. Silva, 2013. "Functional form issues in the regression analysis of financial leverage ratios," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 799-831, April.
- Latouche, Karine & Rouviere, Elodie, 2011.
"Brokers vs. Retailers: Evidence from the French Imports Industry of Fresh Produce,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114398, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Latouche, Karine & Rouviere, Elodie, 2012. "Brokers vs. Retailers: Evidence from the French Imports Industry of Fresh Produce," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123331, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mateev, Miroslav & Poutziouris, Panikkos & Ivanov, Konstantin, 2013. "On the determinants of SME capital structure in Central and Eastern Europe: A dynamic panel analysis," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 28-51.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Aurora Murcho Galego).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.