Capital structure and financing of SMEs: Australian evidence
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants of capital structure and use of financing for small and medium sized enterprises. Hypotheses utilising static trade-off and pecking order arguments are empirically examined using a series of firm characteristics including: size, asset structure, profitability, growth and risk. The hypotheses developed are tested using a large Australian nationwide panel survey. The results suggest that asset structure, profitability and growth are important determinants of capital structure and financing. For asset structure the direction of the influence is reliant upon the capital structure or financing measure employed. The results generally support static trade-off and pecking order arguments proposed by theoretical models. Copyright (c) AFAANZ, 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand in its journal Accounting and Finance.
Volume (Year): 43 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0810-5391
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Gavin Cassar & Scott Holmes, 2003. "Capital structure and financing of SMEs: Australian evidence," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 0(2), pages 123-147.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Azzam, Islam, 2010. "Stock exchange demutualization and performance," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 211-222.
- Koh, SzeKee & Durand, Robert B. & Watson, Iain, 2011. "Seize the moment: Opportunism in Australian capital markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 374-389, September.
- Dong Xiang & Andrew C. Worthington & Helen Higgs, 2011. "Firm-level determinants and impacts of finance-seeking behaviour and outcomes for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Australia," Discussion Papers in Finance finance:201115, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Brian Lucey & Colm KEarney & Ciaran MacAnBhaird, . "Culture and capital structure in small and medium sized firms," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp419, IIIS.
- Suchard, Jo-Ann & Singh, Manohar, 2006. "The determinants of the hybrid security issuance decision for Australian firms," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 269-290, June.
- Degryse, H.A. & Goeij, P. C. de & Kappert, P., 2009.
"The Impact of Firm and Industry Characteristics on Small Firms' Capital Structure: Evidence from Dutch Panel Data,"
2009-21, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Degryse, H.A. & Goeij, P. C. de & Kappert, P., 2009. "The Impact of Firm and Industry Characteristics on Small Firms' Capital Structure: Evidence from Dutch Panel Data," Discussion Paper 2009-009, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Maurizio La Rocca & Tiziana La Rocca & Alfio Cariola, 2011. "Capital Structure Decisions During a Firm's Life Cycle," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 107-130, July.
- Hans Degryse & Peter Goeij & Peter Kappert, 2012. "The impact of firm and industry characteristics on small firms’ capital structure," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 431-447, May.
- Faris M. Abu Mouamer, 2011. "The determinants of capital structure of Palestine-listed companies," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 226-241, May.
- A. Affuso, 2007. "Credit rationing and real assets: evidence from Italian panel data," Economics Department Working Papers 2007-EP09, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Jun Du & Alessandra Guariglia & Alexander Newman, . "Does social capital affect the financing decisions of Chinese small and medium-sized enterprises?," Discussion Papers 10/13, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Ciarán mac an Bhaird & Brian Lucey, 2010. "Determinants of capital structure in Irish SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 357-375, October.
- Majumdar, Raju, 2012. "The Determinants of Indebtedness in Unlisted Manufacturing Firms in India: A Panel Data Analysis," MPRA Paper 43427, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deesomsak, Rataporn & Paudyal, Krishna & Pescetto, Gioia, 2004. "The determinants of capital structure: evidence from the Asia Pacific region," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4-5), pages 387-405.
- Hsiang-Lan Chen & Wen-Tsung Hsu & Yen-Sheng Huang, 2010. "Top management team characteristics, R&D investment and capital structure in the IT industry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 319-333, October.
- Achleitner, Ann-Kristin & Schraml, Stephanie & Tappeiner, Florian, 2008. "Private equity minority investments in large family firms: what influences the attitude of family firm owners?," CEFS Working Paper Series 2008-12, Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS), Technische Universität München.
- Bartholdy, Jan & Mateus, Cesário, 2011. "Debt and taxes for private firms," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 177-189, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.