An Empirical Approach to the Financial Behaviour of Small and Medium Sized Companies
AbstractThis paper shows how the financial behaviour of small and medium sized companies is influenced by size and business sector. This idea underlies two research approaches to capital structure: (i) credit rationing, and (ii) the pecking order theory. Both approaches are based on asymmetric information and have been widely developed over the past two decades. An analysis has been carried out on 1000 Valencian companies that were randomly selected from the state company registry. These companies were divided by size before analysis. As an innovation, the investigation implements a multivariate MANOVA model that takes into account two key variables in the financing of small and medium firms. Our results show that size influences company self-financing strategies, and that business sector influences short-term financial policy. Copyright 2000 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Javier Sánchez-Vidal & Juan Martín-Ugedo, 2005. "Financing Preferences of Spanish Firms: Evidence on the Pecking Order Theory," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 341-355, December.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L’Her & Jean-Marc Suret, 2012. "Seasoned equity offerings by small and medium-sized enterprises," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 449-465, May.
- F. Javier Sánchez Vidal & Juan Francisco Martín Ugedo, 2008. "Edad y tamaño empresarial y ciclo de vida financiero," Working Papers. Serie EC 2008-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Clara Cardone & María J. Casasola, 2003. "What Do We Know About The Financial Behaviour Of The Spanish Sme?: An Empirical Analysis," Business Economics Working Papers wb033708, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Bartzokas, Anthony, 2001. "Financial Markets and Technological Change: Patterns of Technological and Financial Decisions by Manufacturing Firms in Southern Europe," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 4, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Coad, Alex & Segarra, Agustí & Teruel, Mercedes, 2013.
"Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 173-189.
- Coad, Alex & Segarra Blasco, Agustí & Teruel Carrizosa, Mercedes, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Working Papers 2072/179572, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Alex Coad & AgustÃ Segarra & Mercedes Teruel, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2010-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Alex Coad & Agustí Segarra & Mercedes Teruel, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Working Papers XREAP2010-10, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Sep 2010.
- Ciarán mac an Bhaird & Brian Lucey, 2010. "Determinants of capital structure in Irish SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 357-375, October.
- Mehmet A. Ulubasoglu & Muhammet Akdis & Sabahat Bayrak, 2006. "Internationalisation and Alliance Formation: Evidence from Turkish SMEs," Economics Series 2006_05, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Susan Coleman, 2006. "Capital Structure in Small Manufacturing Firms: Evidence from the Data," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 11(3), pages 105-122, Fall.
- Bertocco Giancarlo, 2003. "The role of banks in financing small and medium firms," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf0308, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Francisco Sogorb- Mira, 2002. "How Sme Uniqueness Affects Capital Structure: Evidence From A 1994-1998 Spanish Data Panel," Working Papers. Serie EC 2002-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Boris F. Blumberg & Wilko A. Letterie, 2008. "Business Starters and Credit Rationing," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 187-200, February.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L'Her & Jean-Marc Suret, 2010. "Seasoned Equity Offerings by Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," CIRANO Working Papers 2010s-07, CIRANO.
- Zhang, Xian & Venus, Jill & Wang, Yong, 2012. "Family ownership and business expansion of small- and medium-sized Chinese family businesses: The mediating role of financing preference," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 97-105.
- Maurizio La Rocca & Tiziana La Rocca & Alfio Cariola, 2011. "Capital Structure Decisions During a Firm's Life Cycle," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 107-130, July.
- Geert Campenhout & Tom Caneghem, 2013. "How did the notional interest deduction affect Belgian SMEs’ capital structure?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 351-373, February.
- Alfonso, Galindo Lucas, 2006.
"Repercusiones de la definición de tamaño empresarial en los resultados empíricos sobre eficiencia y financiación
[Repercussions of firm size definition on empirical results for firm efficiency ," MPRA Paper 4731, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Sep 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.