Determinants of the Capital Structures of European SMEs
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to examine the degree to which the determinants of SMEs' capital structures differ between European countries. The study is based on data for four thousand SMEs, five hundred from each of eight European countries. Regressions were run using short-term and long-term debt as dependent variables and profitability, growth, asset structure, size and age as independent variables. A key feature of this paper is the use of restricted and unrestricted regressions to isolate the country-effect from the firm-specific-effect. The results show that variations are likely to be due to country differences as well as firm-specific ones. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 31 (2004-06)
Issue (Month): 5-6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brian Lucey & Colm KEarney & Ciaran MacAnBhaird, . "Culture and capital structure in small and medium sized firms," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp419, IIIS.
- Jan Zápal, 2006. "Relation between Cyclically Adjusted Budget Balance and Growth Accounting Method of Deriving ‘Net Fiscal Effort’," Working Papers IES 2006/05, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Apr 2006.
- Hans Degryse & Peter Goeij & Peter Kappert, 2012. "The impact of firm and industry characteristics on small firms’ capital structure," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 431-447, May.
- de Jong, Abe & Kabir, Rezaul & Nguyen, Thuy Thu, 2008.
"Capital structure around the world: The roles of firm- and country-specific determinants,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1954-1969, September.
- Jong, A. de & Kabir, R. & Nguyen, T.T., 2007. "Capital Structure around the World: The Roles of Firm- and Country-Specific Determinants," Research Paper ERS-2007-058-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Majumdar, Raju, 2012. "The Determinants of Indebtedness in Unlisted Manufacturing Firms in India: A Panel Data Analysis," MPRA Paper 43427, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maurizio La Rocca & Tiziana La Rocca & Alfio Cariola, 2011. "Capital Structure Decisions During a Firm's Life Cycle," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 107-130, July.
- Maria Psillaki & Nikolaos Daskalakis, 2009. "Are the determinants of capital structure country or firm specific?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 319-333, October.
- Degryse, H.A. & Goeij, P. C. de & Kappert, P., 2009.
"The Impact of Firm and Industry Characteristics on Small Firms' Capital Structure: Evidence from Dutch Panel Data,"
2009-21, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Degryse, H.A. & Goeij, P. C. de & Kappert, P., 2009. "The Impact of Firm and Industry Characteristics on Small Firms' Capital Structure: Evidence from Dutch Panel Data," Discussion Paper 2009-009, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Toledo, Arcelia & Hernández, José de la Paz & Griffin, Denis, 2010. "Incentives and the growth of Oaxacan subsistence businesses," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(6), pages 630-638, June.
- Ciarán mac an Bhaird & Brian Lucey, 2010. "Determinants of capital structure in Irish SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 357-375, October.
- Monzurul Hoque & Muhammad Chishty & Rashid Halloway, 2011. "Commercialization and changes in capital structure in microfinance institutions: An innovation or wrong turn?," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(5), pages 414-425, May.
- Ginés Hernández-Cánovas & Johanna Koëter-Kant, 2010. "The institutional environment and the number of bank relationships: an empirical analysis of European SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 375-390, May.
- Bartholdy, Jan & Mateus, Cesário, 2011. "Debt and taxes for private firms," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 177-189, June.
- Azzam, Islam, 2010. "Stock exchange demutualization and performance," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 211-222.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.