On the Use of FTAs by Japanese Firms: Further evidence
AbstractThe paper examines the use of Free Trade Agreements by Japanese companies. The FTAs analyzed include Japan's FTAs with Mexico, Malaysia and Chile. Based on 1,688 responses to a questionnaire survey conducted in 2008, the study finds that the utilization rate of FTAs ranges between 32.9% (Japan-Mexico FTA) and 12.2% (Japan-Malaysia FTA). The survey results and the statistical analysis of the determinants of the use of FTAs reveal obstacles to using FTAs that include the limited magnitude of foreign trade with the FTA partner countries, difficulty in obtaining the certificate of origin that is required to use the FTA, lack of knowledge of FTAs, and the small FTA tariff preference that is the difference between the MFN and FTA tariff rates. These findings indicate the need for the government and relevant agencies to reduce the cost of obtaining the certificate of origin and to make efforts to establish FTAs with Japan's major trading partners, such as the United States, EU and China, in order for Japanese companies to obtain greater benefits from FTAs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 09028.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Takahashi Katsuhide & Urata Shujiro, 2010. "On the Use of FTAs by Japanese Firms: Further Evidence," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-17, April.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen J. Trejo, 2000.
"The Demand for Hours of Labor: Direct Evidence from California,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 38-47, February.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen J. Trejo, 1997. "The Demand for Hours of Labor: Direct Evidence from California," NBER Working Papers 5973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Abadie & David Drukker & Jane Leber Herr & Guido W. Imbens, 2004. "Implementing matching estimators for average treatment effects in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 290-311, September.
- Trejo, Stephen J, 1991. "The Effects of Overtime Pay Regulation on Worker Compensation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 719-40, September.
- Trejo, Stephen J, 1993. "Overtime Pay, Overtime Hours, and Labor Unions," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 253-78, April.
- David N. F. Bell & Robert A. Hart, 2003. "Wages, hours, and overtime premia: Evidence from the British labor market," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(3), pages 470-480, April.
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu & Hiratsuka, Daisuke & Shiino, Kohei & Sukegawa, Seiya, 2009. "Who Uses FTAs?," IDE Discussion Papers 207, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- John Ravenhill, 2011. "Political economy of multilateralization in Asia," STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT, in: Trade-led growth: A sound strategy for Asia, chapter 7 United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2012. "Firms' use of FTA schemes in exporting and importing : is there a two-way relationship?," IDE Discussion Papers 363, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- ANDO Mitsuyo & URATA Shujiro, 2011. "Impacts of the Japan-Mexico EPA on Bilateral Trade," Discussion papers 11020, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Shujiro URATA & Misa OKABE, 2013. "The Impact of AFTA on Intra-AFTA Trade," Working Papers DP-2013-05, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2012.
"Does the use of multiple FTAs force firms to raise local input share? : evidence of the spaghetti bowl phenomenon,"
IDE Discussion Papers
364, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2013. "Does the use of multiple FTAs force firms to raise local input share?: Evidence of the spaghetti bowl phenomenon," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 458-461.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.