How Trade Credit Differs from Loans: Evidence from Japanese Trading Companies
AbstractIn this paper we examine the determinants of the relationship between trade credit and bank loans. Previous studies of this relationship fall into two categories: (1) those emphasizing the difference between financial and non-financial institutions, and (2) those emphasizing the difference between credit instruments. By using data on trading companies that supply both loans and trade credit we are able to determine the relative importance of both institutional differences and instrumental differences for the trade credit-loan relationship. We find that trade credit and loans differ significantly even when offered by the same institutions, while loans extended by financial institutions and those extended by non-financial enterprises respond similarly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 04028.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2004-09-05 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2004-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-MFD-2004-09-12 (Microfinance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Rauch, 1996. "Trade and Search: Social Capital, Sogo Shosha, and Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 5618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mike Burkart & Tore Ellingsen, 2004. "In-Kind Finance: A Theory of Trade Credit," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 569-590, June.
- Sheard, Paul, 1989. "The Japanese general trading company as an aspect of interfirm risk-sharing," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 308-322, September.
- Mariassunta Giannetti & Mike Burkart & Tore Ellingsen, 0.
"What You Sell Is What You Lend? Explaining Trade Credit Contracts,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(4), pages 1261-1298.
- Burkart, Mike & Ellingsen, Tore & Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2004. "What You Sell is What You Lend? Explaining Trade Credit Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 4823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smith, Janet Kiholm, 1987. " Trade Credit and Informational Asymmetry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 863-72, September.
- Ono, Masanori, 2001. "Determinants of Trade Credit in the Japanese Manufacturing Sector," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 160-177, June.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, .
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
CRSP working papers
322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Mitchell Berlin, 2003. "Trade credit: why do production firms act as financial intermediaries?," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Q3, pages 21-28.
- Kamada, Koichiro & Masuda, Kazuto, 2001. "Effects of Measurement Error on the Output Gap in Japan," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 19(2), pages 109-154, May.
- Ferris, J Stephen, 1981. "A Transactions Theory of Trade Credit Use," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(2), pages 243-70, May.
- Brennan, Michael J & Maksimovic, Vojislav & Zechner, Josef, 1988. " Vendor Financing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1127-41, December.
- Shin-ichi Fukuda & Munehisa Kasuya & Kentaro Akashi, 2007. "The Role of Trade Credit for Small Firms : An Implication from JapanÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Banking Crisis," Finance Working Papers 22596, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Santiago Carbó Valverde & Francisco Rodríguez-Fernández & Gregory F. Udell, 2008. "Bank lending, financing constraints and SME investment," Working Paper Series WP-08-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Shin-ichi Fukuda & Munehisa Kasuya & Kentaro Akashi, 2006.
"The Role of Trade Credit for Small Firms: An Implication from Japan's Banking Crisis,"
CIRJE-F-440, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Fukuda, Shin-ichi & Kasuya, Munehisa & Akashi, Kentaro, 2006. "The Role of Trade Credit for Small Firms: An Implication from Japan's Banking Crisis," CEI Working Paper Series 2006-9, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Shin-ichi Fukuda & Munehisa Kasuya & Kentaro Akashi, 2006. "The Role of Trade Credit for Small Firms: An Implication from Japan's Banking Crisis," CARF F-Series CARF-F-078, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Fabbri, Daniela & Menichini, Anna Maria C., 2010.
"Trade credit, collateral liquidation, and borrowing constraints,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 413-432, June.
- Daniela Fabbri & Anna Maria Cristina Menichini, 2005. "Trade Credit, Collateral Liquidation and Borrowing Constraints," CSEF Working Papers 146, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 08 Feb 2009.
- Uchida, Hirofumi & Udell, Gregory F. & Watanabe, Wako, 2013.
"Are trade creditors relationship lenders?,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 25, pages 24-38.
- Kazuo Ogawa & Elmer Sterken & Ichiro Tokutsu, 2013. "The trade credit channel revisited: evidence from micro data of Japanese small firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 101-118, January.
- Ydriss Ziane, 2009. "Tests des motifs transactionnels et financiers du crédit commercial:le cas des firmes lorraines," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 12(1), pages 67-92, March.
- Shin-ichi Fukuda & Munehisa Kasuya & Kentaro Akashi, 2007. "The Role of Trade Credit for Small Firms: An Implication from Japan's Banking Crisis," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 3(1), pages 27-50, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.